Question about the exchange of 508 by 512.

benny2b

Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Massachusetts
I have a 508 DVR that must be exchanged for a 512 DVR. I own 508 DVR of the exchange will also be the owner of 512 DVR or this be OWNED of Dish Network? Thank you

I have a 508 DVR that must be exchanged for a 512 DVR. I own 508 DVR of the exchange will also be the owner of 512 DVR or this be OWNED of Dish Network? Thank you

yes it will be. From previous threads on the same subject it will be considered OWNED on your account. You also have the option to upgrade to a different receiver but those will cost you out of pocket

Yes, owned obsolete receiver will be replaced with a specific model which will be owned as well. The 508 will be replaced with the 512. Any upgrades to another receiver will include a 24 month commitment & $1.00 authorization. The upgraded receiver will be leased receiver and may have upgrade charges depending on the account.

An old thread, but my question is along the same lines. Dish contacted me to send out two 512's to replace my 501. I said, fine, please send them out. I was then told I need to pay a $95 service fee to have a tech plug the coax into the back of the 512. I refused that, and said I'll leave my current system how it is.

What's with the tech fee? Send me out the receivers and a Dishpro splitter if needed, and I'll send in the old 501...

An old thread, but my question is along the same lines. Dish contacted me to send out two 512's to replace my 501. I said, fine, please send them out. I was then told I need to pay a $95 service fee to have a tech plug the coax into the back of the 512. I refused that, and said I'll leave my current system how it is.

What's with the tech fee? Send me out the receivers and a Dishpro splitter if needed, and I'll send in the old 501...
If it was that simple they wouldn't want a technician to correctly install the equipment. First is you probably mean a DPP separator not a splitter you already show you don't know the equipment needed to correctly install the new equipment. DISH wants the equipment working correctly so they don't lose customers because the upgrade is needed due to a change in broadcast technology.

Just my humble opinion...If the 508 is working I wouldn't switch over to the 512 until they forced it.As it is right now the 501/508 get dvr credits added to your account,in other words no dvr fee.The 512 will incur the $6 monthly dvr fee.Also when dish forces the upgrade it will be on their dime not yours.:)

Really?

When I mounted my own Dish 1000+ with the LNBF tuned to the 110, 119, and 129 satellite positions, and then installed the diplexors to separate the analog to digital signal going to my TV2 through the coax, with a DISHPRO splitter (aka separator) at the 722 end, and then added a Dishpro Plus 44 powered switch (through port 1) to be able to add the 322 downstairs, also diplexed (and using a splitter/separator) to a TV upstairs, and to the two 501's in the kids bedrooms, I felt pretty confident that maybe I knew something about Dish installations.

Maybe your right, $95 would be a bargain to watch someone else do it for me, now that I have done it all...

If it was that simple they wouldn't want a technician to correctly install the equipment. First is you probably mean a DPP separator not a splitter you already show you don't know the equipment needed to correctly install the new equipment. DISH wants the equipment working correctly so they don't lose customers because the upgrade is needed due to a change in broadcast technology.

Just my humble opinion...If the 508 is working I wouldn't switch over to the 512 until they forced it.As it is right now the 501/508 get dvr credits added to your account,in other words no dvr fee.The 512 will incur the $6 monthly dvr fee.Also when dish forces the upgrade it will be on their dime not yours.:)

Waving of the dvr fee was discontinued some time ago. All dvr receivers are charged.

Telemachus said:
Really?

When I mounted my own Dish 1000+ with the LNBF tuned to the 110, 119, and 129 satellite positions, and then installed the diplexors to separate the analog to digital signal going to my TV2 through the coax, with a DISHPRO splitter (aka separator) at the 722 end, and then added a Dishpro Plus 44 powered switch (through port 1) to be able to add the 322 downstairs, also diplexed (and using a splitter/separator) to a TV upstairs, and to the two 501's in the kids bedrooms, I felt pretty confident that maybe I knew something about Dish installations.

Maybe your right, $95 would be a bargain to watch someone else do it for me, now that I have done it all...

Maybe you using the term "splitter" instaed of seperator was where he assumed you didn't know what you were doing, when infact you obviously do.

A splitter and a seperator do 2 completely different things and thats why they are called such.

But congrats on the self install.

Im sure if you got a TSR on the line and explained exactly what has happened you may be able to avoid having a tech out.

Hehe, the trouble is that Dish sees all of us as brain-damaged idiots; normal CSRs can't override the default which frankly works well for a depressing number of their customers. What I did was email the ceo address and got a nice fellow from executive resolutions mail me out two 612s for self-installation. I convinced him it would take me longer to explain my custom switch setup to an installer than it would take me to do the install myself. But that was years ago.

If I were you, I'd contact one of the Dish IRT members and see if they can get it done. If not, appeal to executive resolutions.

Waving of the dvr fee was discontinued some time ago. All dvr receivers are charged.

Wrong! I still have a 501 and get credits on my account.So the 501/508 still end up costing $0 for dvr fee.The credit is good for 2 yrs.

Wrong! I still have a 501 and get credits on my account.So the 501/508 still end up costing $0 for dvr fee.The credit is good for 2 yrs.

I have a 508, but I also have a 722. I still pay the $6 DVR fee, but get a $3 credit for the 508. I'll probably switch the 508 to a 211 soon. Hoping to find one for sale from someone who upgrades to the Hopper/Joey.

If you have yet to speak with a member of DIRT, will you please send me a PM with your phone number or account number?

Thanks, MattG, I'll send a PM.

I, too, am getting the DVR credits. Will that stop when I swap to the 512? I was under the impression that it would continue for 2 years because of the "inconvenience" of adding DVR fees to the previously exempt models...

I, too, am getting the DVR credits. Will that stop when I swap to the 512? I was under the impression that it would continue for 2 years because of the "inconvenience" of adding DVR fees to the previously exempt models...

To answer this question publicly, you do NOT lose the credits by changing the receiver out

Good for you, not everyone is getting credits.

Well if you know of anyone that isn't getting the credits then you should have them contact dirt.There might be some exceptions but afaik all subbed 501/508 receivers should be getting the dvr credit.

To answer this question publicly, you do NOT lose the credits by changing the receiver out

I trust you more than reps on the phone MattG.I just wanted to say that there is some conflicting information going around.We were called about 6mos ago by dish and offered a 512 to replace the 501.This was as an upgrade and they wanted a new commitment.When I asked the rep about higher fees he said that yes the 512 would incur the higher fee.$10 instead of the grandfathered $7 fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts