Question about the legality/morality/ethics of "moving"

There is a difference between someone "moving" because they are in a rural area and they have no other option for their taxpayer supported and taxpayer owned license of every single local station in this country and someone "moving" for other reasons. It's a lot like the "NannyGate". Millions of good Americans pay for nannies, but don't pay the taxes and other requirements as the "employers" they are, and we all know about it. Of course, we expect wealthy families to do the right thing, but for some families, it would break them financially and leave children endangered without supervision or care. So we ALL look the other way, even SUPPORT the decision of those families because the govt. is WRONG to burden them with the tax status of "employers" Otherwise, we the taxpayers would have to pay for all the nannies, right? Didn't Victor Hugo teach us anything when we all read Les Miserable and were introduced to the infamous Inspector Jarvet?

Well, I moved to get Wheel and Jeopardy in HD, as well as FOX HD and yes NASCAR, if my real locals would have offered that OTA, I would have stayed put.

My locals responded when ask Why these were not in HD was they didn't have the budget to buy needed equipment, so I went west to an area with deeper pockets.

If I was one of those affected, and I had the necessary balls, I might do the same!
You don't need any balls, just pick up the phone and give them your corrected zip code!:D

And if you don't currently pay for locals, then expect to add a charge for local channels; but currently, all local markets are the same price.

One has to look at the purpose of a law and then the reality of how the law is written, implemented and interpreted. Beyond that one also has to look at what one has to do to arrive at "justice" in the case of a badly written or implemented law.

One of the intended purposes of SHIVA - SHVERA was to create an alternative way for "unserved" viewers to procure network television when they can't obtain it through normal means or of a minimum specified quality level (Grade "B" signal, etc).

Seems like a fairly simple thing in a common sense and ethical world but then enter the parties that would exploit for personal gain.

People rationalize circumventing the law for all kinds of reasons. They'd like more choice of channels; their stations don't run the syndications they'd like; they've moved but they'd still want their old area sporting events; their stations sometimes pre-empt national programming for their own local events; etc.........so maybe even though they can get the local signals and at the quality the law stipulates, they lie anyway because they want more than the law allows for.

Then the local stations, knowing this is going on, collectively through the NAB, lobby congress to tighten the law, making it even more restrictive, in an effort to stop loosing viewers.

The NAB throws lots and lots of money into lobbying congress and congress, liking money the way it does, finds it easy to turn a blind eye to a few voters - especially if they're scattered & unorganized.

These local stations may also be angry enough to refuse legitimate waiver requests.

Before you know it, those that the law was intended to legally help are the ones loosing out if they don't break the law like everybody else.

Maybe if DMA's were defined in a logical manner then moving wouldn't be necessary for some.

My parents are in a DMA that is over 90 miles away and in another state. While there friends less then a mile away receiver the locals (40 miles away) that we grew up with OTA.

This has been discussed to death before. In my view it is lying and lying is unethical. But many ratioanlize it away and I probably do worse things.

I say if you can get your locals OTA then do it and don't move. But if you are missing a local in SD or even HD then by all means move to get it. But be fair and watch the locals you can via OTA and ones you are missing via "moving".

Yep, do that the OTA HD locals are better, always watch them 1st, but at times, our CBS HD signal goes in and out, so I go to backup and Fox is a sub channell, so no HD, so have to get it another way too.

The bottom line is is I should be able to buy and view everything I'm willing to pay for, even if it were every damn market out there. Years ago on Dish (how many of you remember?) I had both East Coast and West Coast Networks. It was so cool getting home from work late and not missing my favorite shows.

The next thing they will do is tell you that you have to buy your new DVD player in the town you live in because the local store spent the money on advertising in your newspaper instead of you driving to the next town to find the same DVD player for $50 less. Not much different

I have spent thousands of dollars at both my Florida and South Carolina homes in search of HD locals to only come up with one or two here and there and it would of been really nice to just say, hey give me New York also. I don't watch commercials anyway. Yup, I'm getting ready to move, I'm just worried as soon as I do, beam goes from Conus to Spot and I'm on hold for six days moving back.:D

The bottom line is is I should be able to buy and view everything I'm willing to pay for, even if it were every damn market out there. Years ago on Dish (how many of you remember?) I had both East Coast and West Coast Networks. It was so cool getting home from work late and not missing my favorite shows.

Yea, that would be nice, too bad it's against the current laws. Maybe if you got your check book our and spent a few million dollars like the broadcasters have done you can get the law changed.

Take your shevra diction and self-justifying delusions and keep em. Bottom line is this is against the law, it is immoral and unethical. It doesn't matter what you think, it is ILLEGAL. That said, people will do it anyways. And I'm going to laugh my @$$ off when it does inevitably come back. Because the NAB is not known for their customer consideration...

You've been warned. *grabs a bag of popcorn to enjoy the show*

Last edited:
moved??

Been there done that for 4 years. I want my favorite college hockey team and the only way to get them is to "move" to where I use to live to get the ABC station. Before (where I use to live) the locals were available, I had the neighboring DMA which was available

do I really care if I "moved"? Heck no
does Dish get my money every month? yes they do. In fact they get $5 more a month because I can get my locals OTA. SO I wouldn't subscribe to locals otherwise

and oh by the way...I also have a Canadian subscription too...oh no. I'm on my way to hell. :D

Take your shevra diction and self-justifying delusions and keep em. Bottom line is this is against the law, it is immoral and unethical. It doesn't matter what you think, it is ILLEGAL. That said, people will do it anyways. And I'm going to laugh my @$$ off when it does inevitably come back. Because the NAB is not known for their customer consideration...

so is speeding but people do that too
so is driving after having too many drinks but people do that too
so is doing drugs but people do that too

guess that popcorn will get pretty stale waiting

With all the death and destruction brought on from war, terrorism, insanity, gang violence and lets not forget about the deceitfull liers in Washington D.C. and someone on this board is worried about the ethics of "moving" so people can pay DISH $5.00 more for locals a month that they wouldn't get other wise. I have two words to say to this:

PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE!

so is speeding but people do that too
so is driving after having too many drinks but people do that too
so is doing drugs but people do that too

guess that popcorn will get pretty stale waiting

Those that get caught, then whine about it and blame the cop for catching them.
Those that get caught, cause harm to someone else, or blame the cop again for getting caught, and possibly do time.
Those that get caught do time.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Hell, Charlie could re-qualify all "movers" tomorrow, and charge a penalty fee for anyone who lied. Then, I'd have to listen more about how horrible Charlie is and it's one more fee to stick it to the customer, but really noone could blame Charlie, they'd have to blame themselves. Think of the sheer income that would generate. And a class action lawsuit?

Subs: "Yeah... we lied to Charlie and when he found out and fixed it so DISH was NAB compliant he charged us a fee for correcting it, we want to sue."

Judge: "??? Ha....hah....hhahahahahaaa...."

With all the death and destruction brought on from war, terrorism, insanity, gang violence and lets not forget about the deceitfull liers in Washington D.C. and someone on this board is worried about the ethics of "moving" so people can pay DISH $5.00 more for locals a month that they wouldn't get other wise. I have two words to say to this:

PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE!

The only problem with all the "death and destruction" of war, is people keep failing to line the reverse-Darwin's on the front lines before its over... Now get down from the horse before you hurt yourself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)