Question about Tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
Ok so to the back of a Tivo you must have 2 separate runs of Cable...(direct from dish or 2 runs going into a multiswitch) Correct? You can't take 1 run off a dish and split it in any way?

I don't currently have a Tivo but Later on I will get the HD one and when I have my new house built I may just have them run 3 runs of RG6 to each room (satellite1,satellite2,ota antenna)

You wont be able to split the Directv signal coming in. However you only need 2 cables still. You can use a diplexer to split your Directv signal and OTA. Basically you send your D* signal and OTA signal down the same line. Then when you power off your Tivo you will have a picture from your OTA.

I have 2 Tivo Units and all I have is 2 cables for each unit. I have local cable going into my 4way switch and it goes down the same line as D* signal.

SS

Saddlesitting said:
You wont be able to split the Directv signal coming in. However you only need 2 cables still. You can use a diplexer to split your Directv signal and OTA. Basically you send your D* signal and OTA signal down the same line. Then when you power off your Tivo you will have a picture from your OTA.

I have 2 Tivo Units and all I have is 2 cables for each unit. I have local cable going into my 4way switch and it goes down the same line as D* signal.

SS

Yea I knew I could Diplex the signal I have that right now on my HTLHD I was just figuring for future growing pains and for a clearer signal I would just do 3 runs.

Currently I have 1 wire coming into my wall and then I diplex it to the OTA antenna and HTLHD satellite in. Outside leg I have it going into a multiswitch OTA combiner...

My main question was on the TIVO part if you could split the signal which I had seen many times it couldn't be split... was wondering if there was any way around it at all.

No, if you want to take advantage of both tuners, you will need to cables. IF you only needed access to one satellite (101), you could get around it with a stacker/destacker. But that's an expensive solution, and doesn't work if you need access to all three satellites (which you'd want for an HD unit).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts