Question about what may have happened to an older setup...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Ok guys... I have a really old Dish setup and was trying to figure out what may have happened to it.

Here's the original setup:
Dish 500 (pointing to 119 and 110), SW21 switch, single 2700 receiver.

Symptoms:
- The receiver couldn't find a sat signal. I did a test switch and it couldn't find the switch. I hooked it up directly to one of the LNBs and still couldn't get it to find a satellite.
- I replaced the receiver and it could immediately see a signal on a single sat. I thought: "Great--it was just the receiver".
- I put the SW21 back in line and it couldn't recognize the switch. Crap.
- I am able to watch on either 110 or 119 and have a SW21 coming in the mail.

My question is this: any idea what could have happened? Lightening? Power surge? It seems odd that the receiver would have something blow and the switch would go out at the same time, but the LNBs would be unaffected. I'm just looking for ideas. Of course, this setup has been in place for 10 years and just now had a problem, so maybe I don't need to worry about it too much. And yes, the SW21 switch is grounded.

Thanks in advance!

could be a multitude of things

SW21 switches do go bad. I've had 3 or 4 blow out
never had a LNB go bad...oh wait that one I dropped off a 2 story roof did go bad ;)
The 2700 probably needed a reboot to see the one satellite now. The fact its probably on its last legs doesnt help either

but when you get the new SW21 unplug the receiver, then hook up the switch

What do you mean "a reboot"? I actually did try removing the card and unplugging it both. It never would see a sat. However, when I hooked up the "new" receiver it immediately saw the sat. I figured all along it was the switch, but I was never able to get the 2700 to see a single sat, which is what led me to try a new receiver. Hmmm. Well, I'll give it a go with a new SW21 and keep my fingers crossed.

oh I misunderstood that the 2700 didnt see a satellite after unplugging it.

So if it cant see anything still it might be toast. I found an old 501 that was like that. I hooked it up and did a switch test. After that it was stuck on a screen so I rebooted it then it showed 0 signal even though I know it was a good setup.

Yeah, that sounds like basically what happened to my 2700. It just seemed odd to me that both went bad at once. That's what made me think power surge/lightening strike. Until I got my new receiver there, I was thinking that maybe the Dish had been knocked out of alignment since it was getting no signal. Glad I didn't go messing with it.

It probably would have paid dividends to ask DISH Network for an upgrade. The 2700 (3700) isn't long for the world (due to the conversion to 8PSK) and I would imagine it won't be long before they're calling you to update it for free.

Help rid the world of legacy equipment in our time.

Last edited:
Yeah, that sounds like basically what happened to my 2700. It just seemed odd to me that both went bad at once. That's what made me think power surge/lightening strike. Until I got my new receiver there, I was thinking that maybe the Dish had been knocked out of alignment since it was getting no signal. Glad I didn't go messing with it.

you might want to talk to Dish about a possible upgrade. Or find a good 311 on Ebay. The 311 is a big upgrade from the 2700 ;)

Will you send me a PM with your phone number or account number? I can set up a tech visit for you if you'd like

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)