Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chris_R

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Northern California
Hi all,

I have some friends who are interested in signing up w/DirecTV that live on the northern fringe of the Los Angeles market spot beam, but would like to be able to receive at least *some* HD channels from LA. For those of you who are in LA, are you receiving the "national" HD channnels in the 80's range (I believe they are for distant networks, might be in the 200's as well), in addition to whatever you're getting from the spot beam? They're OK with not getting some of the SD if the signal is too weak, but if the channels designated as "distants" are available for people in So. Cal, I think they would go for it. Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I have some friends who are interested in signing up w/DirecTV that live on the northern fringe of the Los Angeles market spot beam, but would like to be able to receive at least *some* HD channels from LA. For those of you who are in LA, are you receiving the "national" HD channnels in the 80's range (I believe they are for distant networks, might be in the 200's as well), in addition to whatever you're getting from the spot beam? They're OK with not getting some of the SD if the signal is too weak, but if the channels designated as "distants" are available for people in So. Cal, I think they would go for it. Thanks in advance!
I don't quite understand your question. If you are asking if those of us in LA can watch the locals on both CONUS (80's) and spot (local numbers), then the answer is yes. If you want to know which channels are available in HD and SD then click this link and enter the zip code of your friend. We do get many more locals than what is available in the 80's (8 locals in HD):

I don't quite understand your question. If you are asking if those of us in LA can watch the locals on both CONUS (80's) and spot (local numbers), then the answer is yes. If you want to know which channels are available in HD and SD then click this link and enter the zip code of your friend. We do get many more locals than what is available in the 80's (8 locals in HD):

You understood my question perfectly. :)

Obviously they would like to be able to receive all 8 HD locals (I didn't realize there were than many in the LA market), but in the event the spot is marginal, I wanted to confirm for them that they would still be able to get the four CONUS feeds - NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX. The link you supplied said those channels are actually in the 300's, but they must still be mapped in at the 80's as well?

Are the other four HD channels available to LA subs in CONUS as well, or are they on spots now?

Thanks for the info.

You understood my question perfectly. :)

Obviously they would like to be able to receive all 8 HD locals (I didn't realize there were than many in the LA market), but in the event the spot is marginal, I wanted to confirm for them that they would still be able to get the four CONUS feeds - NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX. The link you supplied said those channels are actually in the 300's, but they must still be mapped in at the 80's as well?

Are the other four HD channels available to LA subs in CONUS as well, or are they on spots now?

Thanks for the info.
Here in LA I can watch those four HD locals on both Conus and Spot. For example, I can watch KCBS on both 391 and 2.

BTW, the LA DNS locals were moved to the 390's.

When you say Northen Fringe part of LA, what cities are your friends located? They should be able to receive ALL locals if they are in the LA area as I am.

Hi all,

When you say Northen Fringe part of LA, what cities are your friends located? They should be able to receive ALL locals if they are in the LA area as I am.
I bring my receiver up to my condo in Mammoth (over 300 miles away) and I am still able to get all of my LA locals

I bring my receiver up to my condo in Mammoth (over 300 miles away) and I am still able to get all of my LA locals

Thanks...that's encouraging to hear. They live in LA but are looking at properties in Mammoth and South Lake Tahoe, and as you do, want to be able to bring their receiver with them and still be able to watch LA locals. If they end up with a cabin in Tahoe, I would think that's too far north, but then again, I have no clue where the spot beam begins to fade away.

Thanks...that's encouraging to hear. They live in LA but are looking at properties in Mammoth and South Lake Tahoe, and as you do, want to be able to bring their receiver with them and still be able to watch LA locals. If they end up with a cabin in Tahoe, I would think that's too far north, but then again, I have no clue where the spot beam begins to fade away.
Tahoe maybe a little too far. They may be in Reno's spot beam.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)