Question for long-time DirecTV customers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you are going this route, you might want to seriously consider upgrading at least one of those other receivers to an HD DVR as well - while there would probably be a small one-time upgrade cost, the monthly cost is STILL going to be $6, regardless if a receiver is a DVR or not. The WHD willl still allow ALL DVR receivers to share recordings amongst themselves, while STILL allowing non-DVR receivers to watch ANY of the DVR's. Most people I deal with, after explaining the limitations of using non-DVR receivers w/WHD, elect to add more DVR's instead & REALLY are happy they did after they get it in!

I apologize for going a bit off-topic here, but if I get a second DVR, would I have to set it up to record all the same shows as I do on the main DVR, or will it add and delete shows whenever I do the same on the main DVR if I have the whole-house DVR setup? I wouldn't want to have to schedule recordings and delete them in 2 rooms every time I watch something--it seems like that would defeat the purpose of the whole-house DVR. But if it automatically synchronises the DVRs, then sure, I can request 2 DVRs.

Exactly - now the ONLY disadvantage of multiple DVR's, is that to prog recordings from any given DVR receiver, you DO have to do it on the specific DVR receiver you want them to go on. (IOW, you can't be using the guide on DVR 1, & tell it to prog a recording on DVR 2) But you can still watch & delete shows freely between DVR's. Frankly while I hope D* rectifies this soon, it's not that big a deal. The thing is, since you will be recording LOTS of things in HD, you will appreciate early on the benefit of having 2 extra recording tuners, as well as double the hard drive space of 2 DVR's. (500 gb each/1TB total, standard with the hard drives that come in the DVR's; you can still use external hd's on any/all DVR's as well)

When you go to your play LIST, regardless of which DVR it's recorded on, it will always tell you which receiver it was recorded on, so you can always see which hard drive they are coming from.

Now, if you still have any non-DVR receivers - you CAN still designate WHICH DVR in a multiple DVR household, you want the recording done on. (as well as watch & deletes)

I just want to point out one glaring mistake made by the CSR. Your rate would not go up to $98 the second year, it would go up to about $83. It wouldn't go up to $98 until the third year, and at that point your contract will have expired and you will be in a position to negotiate. The rebate is good for $31/mo the first year and $16/mo for the second year. They haven't forced you to pay full price under contract since last year. They may also be factoring in the 'free hd' expiring after 1 year, but that has been successfully reinstated by many people who have had it expire. It won't be long before HD is bundled in anyway.

I am considering making the jump from Dish Network, which I've had for about 5 years, to Direct TV. Mostly it's because I want the whole-house DVR service, I like Sunday ticket, and I'm annoyed that Dish Network wants me to pay $200 to upgrade to a 922 receiver.

I called and found out I could get the programming packages and services I want for 62.99 a month for one year, after which time the price jumps to 98.99 a month. I'm currently paying 79 a month to Dish (pre-tax), so this will be a savings for a year, followed by significantly more expensive.

My question to DirecTV customers is whether they offer discounts to existing customers, and how often you have to call to get a better deal. 99 a month seems over-priced to me, so if they are firm on that price I probably won't switch.

Thanks for the info.
Tom
I've had all three services - DISH Network, DirecTV & Charter Cable. I got rid of DISH, they are terrible to work with. Generally, if you are a long time customer through DISH, they will give you $10 off for 12 months. Charter Cable was nice but lacked some big channels such as the NFL Network. The thing I like about Charter is that once your promotion ends after a year, they will generally give you the same promotion for another year. We've had Charter since 1987 but only use Charter for Telephone & Internet currently. We currently have DirecTV for our television service and they have been very good. Gave us $31 off for the first year and $16 off for the second year. Gave me a credit for the NFL Sunday ticket where I only had to pay $180 instead of the original $360 dollar price. We had a few issues that were taken care of, they gave us all of the premium channels and sports pack free for three months and gave us an additional $12 off. Waived the $7 DVR price for 6 months and $5 off the Choice Xtra package for 6 months. I have read that if you are no longer under a contract with DirecTV (meaning you've had their services for two + years) they will generally give you at least $10 off for a year, sometimes $20 off for a year. It just depends on what agent you talk to because they all offer different things, you have to be persistent.

I am considering making the jump from Dish Network, which I've had for about 5 years, to Direct TV. Mostly it's because I want the whole-house DVR service, I like Sunday ticket, and I'm annoyed that Dish Network wants me to pay $200 to upgrade to a 922 receiver.

I called and found out I could get the programming packages and services I want for 62.99 a month for one year, after which time the price jumps to 98.99 a month. I'm currently paying 79 a month to Dish (pre-tax), so this will be a savings for a year, followed by significantly more expensive.

My question to DirecTV customers is whether they offer discounts to existing customers, and how often you have to call to get a better deal. 99 a month seems over-priced to me, so if they are firm on that price I probably won't switch.

Thanks for the info.
Tom

There are a lot of companies that offer incentive deals to sign up for their service. Introductory offers are just that: introductory. Any company worth its salt will try to impress and entice you. The glow does wear off, and then you confront what you would regularly pay. You should consider content. If you want sports, DirecTV is it. If you want foreign language, stay with Dish Network. If neither is more critical, then look at the whole list of what channels are available from both.

Also, another matter is HD. Who does a better job with up-to-date programming in HD?

I don't recommend DirecTV. On Dish Network, you are getting more than a dozen channels in HD that aren't on DirecTV. These channels are non-premiums. There is a thread on E! and BBC not being in HD that is discussed. It includes some posters who have observed DirecTV's problem.

I call when I see my bill go up. Actually, as I speak I am on the phone with D* talking to CSR. I had full intentions of switching to UVerse now that its available in my area because I am so sick of the "laggyness" and performance of the DVR's. I love the service itself but the hardware has been junk in my opinion since I have been a subscriber. I was very upset when I called a few months ago to ask if they would replace these DVR's and they said I would have to pay $99 per new receiver. I tried direly to explain to them that these DVR's have been horrible from day one. They would not budge.

Now that I threaten to go to Uverse they are giving me all new equipment, $20 off per month for 1 year, and free HD service for a year. I get the whole home install too.

So, till next year...

I don't recommend DirecTV. On Dish Network, you are getting more than a dozen channels in HD that aren't on DirecTV. These channels are non-premiums. There is a thread on E! and BBC not being in HD that is discussed. It includes some posters who have observed DirecTV's problem.

This is a very short sided view. Each company has channels the other doesn't. Dish is much quicker to drop channels compared to Directv. For me, Directv has more of the channels I want to watch, plus the hd picture quality is a little better. Those two factors are more than enough to keep me a Directv customer. YMMV!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)