Question for new subscription

PIApW

Original poster
Apr 10, 2014
Milky Way
I want to get Dish for international programming. Specifically I want to order the Russian package. From reading DISH's website, the Russian package costs $24.99 a month. And I understand I would need to pay an additional 10$ a month for International Basic, so the total would be 34.99$ per month.
My question is about the receiver. Where do I get a receiver for Dish? I see old receivers on ebay, specifically a receiver model 301, but it did not have a smart card. Does this receiver still work or is it outdated? Will DISH supply me with a card? How much does a card cost?

I want to get Dish for international programming. Specifically I want to order the Russian package. From reading DISH's website, the Russian package costs $24.99 a month. And I understand I would need to pay an additional 10$ a month for International Basic, so the total would be 34.99$ per month.
My question is about the receiver. Where do I get a receiver for Dish? I see old receivers on ebay, specifically a receiver model 301, but it did not have a smart card. Does this receiver still work or is it outdated? Will DISH supply me with a card? How much does a card cost?

If all you want is a single receiver without DVR I would strongly suggest purchasing a 211 or 211k. You don't have to purchase the equipment, you can just contact a DIRT member on here and they can help you. You would have to sign a 2 year contract though.

You don't say why you want to buy a receiver, is it because you do not want to sign up for two years? Since you are not at all familiar with DISH I would not buy any receiver from Ebay. They could have a balance left on them, not compatible, etc... Though those things can possibly be checked before buying, my next question is who would install it? Unless you know for sure you are not keeping the service for two years just have DISH install it all and pick what receiver you want from them.

Other than the 2 year contract, there is no benefit (AFAIK) to owning. Your monthly costs are the same and having a Dish tech install the system would be much simpler than doing it yourself. When I first got Dish, you had to buy and install the system yourself. I had to go on the roof to install the dish and then aim it while a friend was in the house relaying the signal strength to me by yelling. That's when they only had 1 sat. Now there are 3 on each arc. Also, buying on ebay most probably will get you old equipment.

I apologize for not adding more details in my original question.

As mentioned, I want to purchase just the Russian International package for $24.99 a month. I fully understand I also have to subscribe to a minimum of the International Basic for an additional 10$ a month.

I do not want any other programming. I personally do not watch TV and only want to get this for a family member who is coming here from Russia to live with me for a while.
If I "lease" I have to sign a 2 year contract, which I do not need as it is too long. So I want to own my own equipment so I do not have to sign a 2 year contract.

As for installation, I strongly prefer to do it myself anyways, so that is not a problem I am worried about.

Now I am totally new to this, so I searched ebay for receivers. Some of you were kind enough to tell me that the 301 receiver, which I asked about, cannot be used any longer.

Searching ebay I see several "new" VIP222k receiver and VIP211k available.

The VIP222k has ability to use 2 TVs. But is there a fee from Dish Network because of that? Do they charge an extra 7$ a month?
This would be my only/primary receiver, but it has 2 tuners.

Would my monthly total be $34.99 or am I forgetting some fees?

There is no fee for equipment if you have a dual tuner as your primary receiver.

Also make sure you purchase the correct dish/lnb combination. You will need the 118 for the international programming. Look specifically for DPP 500+ kits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)