Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sparkman

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Charlotte,NC
For the last week or so I have noticed that both White Sox and Cubs games that are WGN feeds have not been showing commercials between innings. Just a live camera shot within the stadium and sometimes the upcoming graphics. Haven't seen this on any other games, including the games that are MY50 feeds that are produced by WGN. I don't watch a ton of other games, are there many other feeds that are not showing commercials between innings? This just started on the WGN feeds lately. Just curious.

not that i can think of right now but in other sports package like NHL i see it, but i sure missing one or two in baseball

In most cases where MLB is sending out a backhaul instead of just a RSN, Directv will add their own ads. (cheap as seen on tv products and PPV movie ads)
I have seen a few ad free games this year though, not just the Chicago teams.

The MLB EI feed comes directly from MLB via their fiber network. Each MLB stadium has two out going paths to MLB EI for home and away feeds for MLB.TV and MLBEI. Typically Directv will air the RSN feed, but when one isn't available say because its on local tv, MLB will supply DirecTV with the MLB.TV feed for the broadcast that has no commercials. Sometimes DirecTV will air the local channel if it has an agreement with them to do so and if the MLB feed isn't available.

The MLB EI feed comes directly from MLB via their fiber network. Each MLB stadium has two out going paths to MLB EI for home and away feeds for MLB.TV and MLBEI. Typically Directv will air the RSN feed, but when one isn't available say because its on local tv, MLB will supply DirecTV with the MLB.TV feed for the broadcast that has no commercials. Sometimes DirecTV will air the local channel if it has an agreement with them to do so and if the MLB feed isn't available.

That all makes sense, for the Cubs, MLBEI actually carries 3 different OTA feeds since they do have games on 3 OTA channels in Chicago. WGN produces the games on channels 9 & 50 and WLS has 20 games this year as well that they produce themselves. WGN all has games on channels 9 & 50 for the White Sox. Commercials have been showing on all of these games all year, but they just recently stopped. Coincidentally, it happened right after WGN choose not to go back to showing a Cubs game that restarted after a rain delay and stayed with weather programming to cover the storms around Chicago. That did cause a minor uproar on social media in Chicago that night. It does seem a little weird to me that the WGN games on ch 9 have been ad free, but the WGN produced games on ch 50 are still showing ads. I'll kepp watching to see if the ads come back.

For the last week or so I have noticed that both White Sox and Cubs games that are WGN feeds have not been showing commercials between innings. Just a live camera shot within the stadium and sometimes the upcoming graphics. Haven't seen this on any other games, including the games that are MY50 feeds that are produced by WGN. I don't watch a ton of other games, are there many other feeds that are not showing commercials between innings? This just started on the WGN feeds lately. Just curious.

Sox fan here in AZ....I have been enjoying the lack of commercials!!!!....Reminds me of my BUD days, getting games on backhauls....And of course, Beating the Hawkvision PPV......

Just showing a camera on the field during tonight's rain delay too. WGN went back to the studio ad is showing the news. This all started the last time there was a rain delay, and WGN stayed with the news even after the game restarted because other parts of the Chicago area had severe weather. I bet that caused problems at MLBEI and they made a change on WGN broadcasts to not go away from the cameras at the game. Be interesting to see if it changes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.