Question for Tivo Owners

Lifterguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I'm currently using a Tivo Premier for OTA viewing. It generally has worked well, with rock steady reception on most channels. Unfortunately I have a a few channels (2 or 3) where I occasionally get some break up - especially in the summer when the leaves are on the trees. I read comments before I got the Premier about it having a weak OTA tuner, and recently I got a new Vizio TV, and I've noticed that the tuner in that set picks up one additional (distant) station, and seems to be better on the channels that give the Tivo fits.
So here is the question - has anyone here had the opportunity to compare the Tivo Premier with the Roamio or the Bolt for OTA reception? The Roamio OTA with lifetime is currently being offered for $399, and I'm tempted to get it - particularly if it would eliminate the reception problems I've had with the Premier. (Plus having two Tivos would mean more tuners / more recording options! :) )

I have both a 2 tuner Premiere and a Roamio Basic. The Roamio has a clearly better tuner and will pull in stations rock solid where the Premiere is breaking up.

Just a quick note, foliage and leaves are absorptive to UHF and microwave frequencies including tv, GPS, cell phones and satellite radio. This may cause your reception to vary. Good luck,
Alan

It sounds like you are going backwards but a series 3 has a better tuner than the premier and about as good as a Roamio. and with Lifetime is available for less than $200 with a 500 to 1TB drive.
You might also think about a better antenna it won't improve the tuner but could be cheaper than $400 for a new Roamio.

Good point Boba.

The S3 is definitely the value, but there are some definite features which steer me toward the Roamio.
  • Better streaming choices
  • Commercial skip feature. I am really getting to love this. One button press and back to program
  • Ability to go to a larger disk with no fuss. It is just plug and play. Mine has 2 TB. The older ones require special handling to format.

Reactions: osu1991
With ATSC 3.0 threatening in as little as four years (and as many as 12), I advocate being thoughtful about loading up on new and expensive DTV gear. DTV DVRs may lose value quickly if ATSC 3.0 comes on line and they have no way to control an external tuner (as I expect is the case with most of the existing OTA DVRs -- and the Premiere if I'm not misinformed).

Good point Boba.

The S3 is definitely the value, but there are some definite features which steer me toward the Roamio.
  • Better streaming choices
  • Commercial skip feature. I am really getting to love this. One button press and back to program
  • Ability to go to a larger disk with no fuss. It is just plug and play. Mine has 2 TB. The older ones require special handling to format.
I agree, and bought a S3 with lifetime because it was such a deal (if you buy one make sure it has lifetime or you cant activate it). However, it is on my least used set, and I have the roamio and bolt on the other two that get usage. They are just superior machines in every way. Going from one of them with their speed and extra features takes reflex adjustment when using the S3.

I have 2 S3's and one Roamio and I prefer the S3's but that might be because I am more familiar with the S3's and I don't stream where the Roamio may have an advantage.
For the money invested a series 3 with the questionable ATSC tuners future is a better buy.

I tried the Premier and found the OTA reception completely inadequate in my location. I went back to the Series 3 (first model with clock on front) with lifetime. Be aware that many will have bad capacitors by now but weaknees.com can fix them or of course if you have the skills do it yourself.

If you want to stream, then the Roamio OTA requires the Tivo Stream box as well. The Bolt has streaming, but not yet enabled for out of your local network streaming. (unless this has changed) I have been looking at the Roamio OTA as well, but have not purchased one as of yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)