Question of the day! Which card?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I kept twisting Stogie's arm and he finally came around to see the cool things you can do with TSReader. I know he loves his 1020a card and TSReader now.
Yes he likes it now that he knows how to use it. :)

Sent another PM Jim, a problem with the email you sent to me.

Hi Jerryt,

Thanks again for all your help here and in the other thread!

I looked at the Genpix yesterday, and read the entire thread on MyTheatre. Whew! It's as long as some of my threads are. :)

It is still a little pricey for me yet, although his price has come down a little. Hopefully he will be able to mass produce them soon and we can all get one of them. They definitely appear to be the card/assembly to get. :D

Thanks Jim!

Got the newest computer in place and everything installed again.

The power boost and the extra RAM helped considerably with the SS2 card, but just a few artifacts on some of the network HD feeds.

I am looking forward to the Twinhan card coming from Jim to utilize all the processing power of this machine, and the remote control functionality in MyTheatre.

I have the setting for optimize for wide-screen TV checked and as I thought, even the SD fills the screen without distortion. Very nice.

I'm still going to give DVBDream a long look. The latest version has many improvements.

:D

Got my Twinhan 1020a today from vfrjim. Thanks Jim!

It's working fine.

When I first installed it, I opened MyTheatre and there wasn't any sound or video. I looked everything over and changed a couple of things in the autograph section. PM'd Jim and he recommended the driver from TSReader, downloaded the Lite version, installed it, but didn't see a driver for the 1020a, gave Stogie a call, and he thought the DVBDream driver might work, but I didn't do that because everything else was working. Changed satellites, changed LNBs on all multi-lnb satellites and both diseqc switches, so I knew it had to be something simple. I knew it was all working because I could see the signal quality changed as I changed channels and satellites.

Did some frantic searching here and on the MT forum, and not much fast help.

So I sat back and stared at the screen for about 5 minutes and noticed the little dot at the lower left hand side was dark and the channel list dot was bright. I thought naw, it can't be that simple. Clicked on the dot, and BAM, had sound and video.

Opened up the settings in MT and turned on all the horsepower. (all 4 cpus) Clicked over to an adjacent satellite and watched a little 720x? 4:2:2 (30% cpu usage) and a 1920x? 4:2:0 (50% cpu usage), switched to PBS HD, and it all worked great. No stuttering, smooth as silk.

Haven't tried the remote yet, have to do a little more studying on that. :)

Now all I have to do is get everything setup the way I want it.

What I am going to try and achieve is an HD STB on a PC. Boot the computer into XP with auto startup of MyTheatre full-screen, and use the remote from there complete with EPG from my TitanTv account.

I think that is all possible, and the advantage over just buying an HD STB, is this one can be upgraded as newer cards come out. At the end of a couple or three years, I will still have a nice desktop to use at home or in the office. :)

I find the best driver for the 1020a in Mytheatre is the one that comes with MT. Look in mytheatre/drivers/twinhan/wdm/all pci cards. The wdm driver will give you diseqc control.
An hd stb on a pc is very doable. Glad you're getting it sorted out. There are other advantages also, pvr function limited only by the size of your hard drive(s), timeshift function, Schedule unattended recordings, there is probably other stuff I can't think of right now. The biggest plus is almost everything is adjustable to suit your tastes.
What are you using for a display?

I have an AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core 4600+. Do you have to set something to make both cores active? Core #2 goes to 100% sometimes, but Core #1 never changes from 0%.

I have an AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core 4600+. Do you have to set something to make both cores active? Core #2 goes to 100% sometimes, but Core #1 never changes from 0%.

In some programs you can go into the task manager, click the process and set the affinity but not all programs are designed to run a more than one core. It might fall on its face.

I find the best driver for the 1020a in Mytheatre is the one that comes with MT. Look in mytheatre/drivers/twinhan/wdm/all pci cards. The wdm driver will give you diseqc control.
I've got diseqc control and am using the BDA driver from MyTheatre and it works fine.
An hd stb on a pc is very doable.
I thought from what I had read that is was a very real possibility.
Glad you're getting it sorted out. There are other advantages also, pvr function limited only by the size of your hard drive(s), timeshift function, Schedule unattended recordings, there is probably other stuff I can't think of right now. The biggest plus is almost everything is adjustable to suit your tastes.
I have just a tip of the iceberg at what I want to have, but I'll get there.
What are you using for a display?
My Westinghouse 32" LCD HDTV. :)

It looks very nice.
Digiblur is correct. It all depends on the program and what it is capable of.

That's why I switched cards. The SS2 wasn't capable of using the PC's full potential in MyTheatre.

I've got diseqc control and am using the BDA driver from MyTheatre and it works fine.
BDA specification does not include diseqc, it is working because of work arounds in the driver. WDM is written for a specific card to enable all its features. If you compare cpu usage when using bda to cpu usage when using wdm you will see quite a difference.

Starman345 wrote:
BDA specification does not include diseqc, it is working because of work arounds in the driver. WDM is written for a specific card to enable all its features. If you compare cpu usage when using bda to cpu usage when using wdm you will see quite a difference.
You have been right on everything so far, so I'll give it a shot and see if the cpu usage goes down.

Well that experiment didn't work out so well.

I installed the WDM drivers and got nothing. It wouldn't even turn on the GBox, so I know it wasn't lighting up the LNB or anything else.

I had a difficult time getting rid of it afterwards, but have the BDA driver back in place and all is well again.

I'm using DVBDream. It has a box in Preferences to check to prevent usage of more than one cpu. The box is unchecked and affinity in Task Manager for DVBDream has both Core 1 and Core 2 checked. But still 0% on Core 1.

Well that experiment didn't work out so well.

I installed the WDM drivers and got nothing. It wouldn't even turn on the GBox, so I know it wasn't lighting up the LNB or anything else.

I had a difficult time getting rid of it afterwards, but have the BDA driver back in place and all is well again.

As long as its working is the important thing! Odd the driver did that but then computers can be quirky at times. That is a smoking machine you have there so you may not notice much difference with cpu usage anyway. :)

Originally Posted by starman345:
As long as its working is the important thing! Odd the driver did that but then computers can be quirky at times.
That is the key. Every computer is a little bit different, and operating systems can be different depending on what stage of updates are in progress.

You have been a great help and will continue to look for your advice especially for MyTheatre. :)

I installed AMD Power Monitor and now both cores are showing activity. Apparently the other program I was using wasn't working right.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)