Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I am just wanting to see how to get the absolute best deal for Directv. We have 3 TVs total and am looking at MRV for sure (big plus over the local cable co as they don't offer it yet). When I go to Directv's website I build my bundle with Choice Xtra and with 1 HD-DVR, and 2 HD boxes. It says $49 for the 2nd HD box. Is there any way to get that for free as well?

I understand if there's not and am willing to pay it, but was just curious if anyone has had Directv waive the fee for that.

I've seen it waived but really it's all on who you talk to. If you're willing to spend $49 I'd recommend going with an additional HD-DVR. It's $99 and you'll love having the extra recording space. I have 3 of them and I couldn't imagine only having 1

I was able to get 2 HDDVRs for free with my sign up. After fiddling with MRV a bit, I wouldn't have less than 2 HDDVRs and then just receivers after that for some or more HDDVRs. Calling in and asking can oft times get you something a bit better than the advertised signup deal, but it is a crap shoot.

Figure it this way, if you call and ask the very worse they can do is say no, so what do you have to lose? :)

Agreed. Having two DVRs myself, and with the amount of recordings I do, I can't imagine only having one. The great thing is they don't charge you extra monthly for having more than one DVR (beyond the extra receiver fee). TBH, I'm considering adding a third, but I'm holding off to see what the HR34 winds up costing.

Well all the new shows are starting now, so as you can see, I didn't wait to get a 3rd HDDVR.

Now to get D* to make either a unified or remotely accessible, todo list/series manager. :(

Got signed up for Directv. They were able to use my past billing history from 2+ years ago and still get all of the new customer deals. I was also able to use the refer a friend for its discount.

No dice on getting a 3rd HD receiver for free. I was told it would be $49.99 plus tax plus delivery fee. I am getting an HD-DVR and an HD receiver for free though. I have the 3rd receiver as a standard receiver but I think I'll call them tomorrow and have them change it to an HD receiver. I was told two different things regarding the video on demand. I was told at first that it would need to be an HD receiver to access video on demand, and the second story I was told was any receiver even an SD receiver could access it. Since we like using video on demand for our daughter's TV I think I'll change it to the HD receiver just to make sure.

They told me an additional HD-DVR would have been $150 plus taxes and delivery fee.

The earliest I could get an install for was Oct 3rd.

Nevermind, I cancelled the install. Not only was I lied to about the VOD requirements (it does require an HD receiver attached to the HD-DVR), I found out they charged my credit card for a delivery fee for the initial order and I was NOT told they would be charging my credit card. In fact, when the initial order CSR took my install request I was told they would need to authorize my credit card but there would not be a charge done to it.

One thing that will really upset me is if they lie to me like that and charge my credit card when I do not know ahead of time.

Looks like I can reorder the same deal online and not have to pay any kind of delivery fee, and I can still do the refer a friend so after talking with my wife we will still go with Directv. No one else does a Whole House DVR without it costing a lot, and I've gotten so used to it from having Uverse.

What's funny is all of the discounts the CSR and her supervisor was trying to give me to compensate for not being up front with me is the same discount I can get ordering it online. I still have to pay for the 3rd HD receiver for $49, which I even told the supervisor I was willing to do, but a delivery fee on top of that was a deal-breaker.

Dont forget about the AAA [requres membership]or Costco deal[no membership required] you can use with (ON TOP) of Current New Customer deals +$100 referral credit (I find the Costco deal the absoulte best online) and includes Free Handling/processing when ordered online.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)