Question on local channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tbear

Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
I've been told that Directv sends local channels to a limited local area. How do they limit the sat. signal to the broadcast area? If you were able to get Boston local in Boston and took the rec. to Omaha shouldn't it still be able to get Boston local? The signal from the sat. would have to carry all the "local" channels and be seperated out by something in the receiver (my thought). One thought I had was to use the zip code entered as part of set-up.

Spot beams

Instead of having the TP (transponder) beam across the US, they concentrate on one area for the locals. This allows them to reuse the same TP number in 3 or 4 or more areas. So as an example, TP8 on DIsh (where my locals are) can be used for areas in Minnesota, Ohio, California, & Texas. So instead of getting only 12 channels on a TP, they can have up to 48.
If I took my receiver from Mpls to Florida, I wouldnt be able to see my locals..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts