Question on remotes

andreah1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Hi all, just made the switch yesterday from dtv. No complaints with the channels etc. Think the dvr menus, etc will take awhile, have to say dtv was alot more user friendly but I'm sure I'll adapt.
What I DO have a problem with is the remotes, I hate them. We got two 722's and the newer remotes, think they are a 20.0 or something like that? While they look neat, they're very uncomfortable and cumbersome in the hand. My dtv remote I could run from the same hand I had it resting in, this one I have to hold with one hand and punch in stuff with the other, by the time I got done yesterday programming all my recordings my thumb was killing me, lol! Yeah, my hands are small but even my husband commented on it.
Are there other dish remotes out there that I can use on the 722 that are more comfortable? I'm looking a bit online and it looks like the silver ones (maybe a 6.something) might taper a bit more to fit in the hand. Any advice? This is one of those things that's going to bug the daylights out of me til I fix it. Also missing the light up feature on my dtv one. Oh well, can't have everything! It's a JOY to have locals on Dish, that's for sure!

I don't think any other remotes are going to work with that model of receiver. It will just take a little getting use to. I have the silver remotes and the new black remotes and don't have any problems. I have everything memorized and can run it one handed without looking at it, but I've had Dish for 16 year. I'm sure I would hate DTV remotes. It's just a matter of what you are use to I think.

Yeah, the old silver ones are definitely better IMO. They work with the 722.

You can also get a universal remove for TV1...you'll probably want a decent learning one. TV2 is a bit trickier, you need one of their UHF-to-IR conversion kits for controlling TV2 via IR, then you obviously need an RF remote and a base station.

None of the dish remotes that I know of light up, unfortunately. But the silver style ones definitely were nicer, I thought.

Andrewwski, thanks, you really think the silver will work? I have no problem keeping the newer remotes for the tv2's as they are tv's we rarely use. It's the tv1's that I want to "fix". Can I just buy the silver ones for the tv1's? Looking on ebay, think they are 6.0 and I would want the IR's right?
I have A LOT of getting used to, dtv was easier to navigate but I'm sure you're right, Scherrman, I'll have to get used to things. But, with the black remote, there's no way I could run it with one hand, I can just get my palm around the bottom, my fingers don't stretch far enough for the buttons, ha ha. Can't figure out why they would make something bigger and bulkier when times are calling for small and compact, lol.

So, just talked to Dish and they say I have the 722K and that no other remote will work with it...would you still buy one just to see if it would?

Hope you can get a smaller remote, though I thought the black was maybe a little smaller than the silver. ???

I love the remote that comes with the 722. It can learn other remotes, which was great for my receiver and TV. I now have full control of all the devices with one remote!

or just place the remote on the arm of your recliner or the floor and use it that way. you don't have to point it even close to the same direction as the receiver. don't think i've picked my up, to use it, in a long time.

I'll figure out something, it's one of those things that will bug me til I'm totally happy. I think I'm going to try ordering the 6.x on ebay (I'll order a cheap used one) and see if I can get it to work. Trying to search the internet and it "sounds" like it works but not positive. I do like that it learns everything but really not a big deal to me, it's more of a big deal to be able to hold it comfortably in my hand. The black ones (20.0, 21.0) are square, it looks like the silver ones taper more.

When I had the 722k , I could use the 722 /622 remote controls with it just fine. But the 922 is a different story. You have to use the remote control that comes with it . I even bought a second one and turned the number sign over to 2 from 1. So when I use the sling feature the second remote control with the 2 on it controls the tv 2 ouput in dual mode. When I am not using sling , it returns to being a tv 1 remote control and can be used in single mode again.

I bought the Logitech Harmony 700 remote last weekend and I have to say it is outstanding. It's very comfortable, lights up with a key press (or even a tilt of the remote if you want) and very intuitively laid out. The only thing I missed from my Time Warner cable was the light-up remote. LOL Now I don't have to worry about that either.

I have it controlling my new TV, surround sound system, dvd player and the VIP 722 on TV1. I have yet to find a function it cannot do while controlling the receiver or any of the other devices. In fact, I used some of the keys to program some things the way I want. It programs through your computer, just select the devices you want to control and it has all the functions programmed in for you.

However, as I mentioned you can customize the buttons in any way you desire. This remote isn't cheap...but it is awesome! Good luck!

Last edited:
Someday BOTH of the big satellite companies will find knowledgeable associates. NOT! Don't think it will ever happen! Thanks for your replies, for now I'm going to get a 6.3 and start putting my pennies away for a Harmony! THANKS!!!!!

Yeah, the 6.x RF ones should work, but the IR ones definitely will. Any learning universal will too, matter of finding one that you like best then.

A Logitech Harmony remote will control a 722K, the CSR doesn't know what they are talking about.

That's correct. I have an Harmony 670 and love it! I got real used to my TiVo remote (which I still think is the most comfortable remote ever), and the 670 is a close runner up to the TiVo remote. Plus it handles everything for me, even a Honeywell Fan that has a remote with it.

Ghpr13:)

I agree, had a tivo remote probably 5 years back and it was super comfortable. The remote we have now is getting slightly easier to manuver now that we're learning a couple buttons but still can't figure out why they made it so square and bulky. Wonder if there is a way to program the colored buttons in the middle to do things? I'd like to program the red one to delete a timer recording without having to select, arrow down, delete, ok. Just want to press the button and be gone....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts