Question regarding Local Channels and Free To Air

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr. Brown

Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I know this is going to sound a little bit corny, and I'm new to this forum anyway, But Im trying to find a way to get New York stations using a free to air dish. I'm planning to get one in the near future. but since I already have a DirecTV dish hooked up for service, would it even matter getting a free to air dish? Also, I live about 140-some miles away from the city, so I'm not sure if it would make a difference. If you understand anything that I'm saying.

New York stations are not available with FTA . There are probably 500-600 channels available on both C-band and ku-band FTA. Encrypted programming is not available FTA, it's only available through your Directv or DishNet or local cable. The channels you ask about are Encrypted channels, so you would need to stay with your Directv to see them. Stealing of Encrypted channels or talking about stealing channels is not permitted here.

Al

there is alot more than 500 or 600 fta channels. there are 300 or 400 c band fta and over 1000 ku band, not including the scrambled ones. a whole lot of these are feeds,not 24 hr channels. i currently have 300 or so c band fta and about 500 or so ku right now. and i havent even found all my ku sats yet.

there is alot more than 500 or 600 fta channels. there are 300 or 400 c band fta and over 1000 ku band, not including the scrambled ones. a whole lot of these are feeds,not 24 hr channels. i currently have 300 or so c band fta and about 500 or so ku right now. and i havent even found all my ku sats yet.

1000 Ku band ?
300-400 C band ?

I believe theres more active C-band than Ku ( if you can see the whole arc ).

Active channels are what count , not those saved in your STB that are no longer there .

To the original poster , unless you need your LOCAL news , you should be able to find most networks using a FTA dish , ABC , NBC , FOX , CBS I'm not sure of , but if you have a C/Ku BUD I bet you do get all the networks.

The following is available FTA:

On Galaxy 16, C band, there are network stations for the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. However, they carry New York City news programs. I have not spent a lot of time watching them, but I would bet that they are mostly New York programming.

NBC East, West, Mountain and Pacific is on W4 (4DTV designation).

CBS HD is on Galaxy 26.

CW East, West and Central is on Galaxy 11, C band.

ION is on W1 (4DTV designation), C band.

There are a couple of Fox affiliates (on Galaxy 10, Galaxy 3 and W4, all KU).

CBS Yakima, wash. is on Galaxy 3, C band.

ABC HD national, is on Galaxy 16, C band.

For whatever reason, Miami Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC are (or were last week) FTA on Echostar 5.

CBS Yakima Washington is on Galxy 3, C band.

The following is available FTA:

On Galaxy 16, C band, there are network stations for the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. However, they carry New York City news programs. I have not spent a lot of time watching them, but I would bet that they are mostly New York programming.
They're the NY feeds with local commercials and most news nuked out of it
For whatever reason, Miami Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC are (or were last week) FTA on Echostar 5.
I think you mean Dish 119 and its only in the spotbeam area (S Florida)

As a spot beam, they are only beamed to South Florida? Does the programmer do the same all over the country? Why are they in the clear? (I do not need them; I have my outdoor antenna for that).

Hello there, fellow South Floridian here. Yes, the big 4 are FTA down here. Spotbeam only. It is listed on Lyngsat so I assume it's safe to discuss here in the general area.

Why they went FTA I don't know but it makes for a VERY convenient setup! Thanks Dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts