question: Samsung plasma or Sony LCD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cards Big East

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 22, 2006
I like this Samsung Plasma TV :Samsung 42" 720p Plasma HDTV with FilterBright™ Anti-Glare Technology and 1,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio hhgregg.com

but I've never owned a Samsung product. Would I be better off getting a Sony LCD and paying more money? I watch a lot of sports on ESPN and have a concern about the bottom line ticker burning into the screen. However my concern on the LCD is about the fast motion looking bad.

Any opinions would be welcomed.

Also, would this set be an improvement over my Sony KD 32FS170 SD TV? (other then the size difference of course. I've always felt this Sony gave me a terrific picture.

Last edited:
Up until my recent Panasonic purchase I have always owned Sony t.v.'s and they have never let me down. A few months ago I originally purchased a 50" Samsung plasma to replace an 8 year old Sony RPTV. I was not impressed (had a known flickering issue) amongst a few other minor issues. I took it back and ended up with the Panasonic 50" 720P plasma. I also watch alot of ESPN and other sports channels. I've been following the Pistons and RedWings in their championship runs and have been completely satsfied with my Panny plasma. My $.02 worth!

We have a 50" samsung plasma and haven't had any problems with it. Samsung even mentions that this generation of plasmas don't need a burn in period but we went online and used suggested picture settings for burn in for 200 or so hours before we set it up the way we wanted. If something is on the screen for a very long time, like 30 minutes straight, it will leave a slight ghost image but it goes aways after a minute or so and you don't notice it while watching tv. Haven't noticed any flickering either. If you are ok with spending more money get a Kuro which are the top plasmas.
But definitly get a plasma. They don't have the response time problems that LCDs have so you won't see any ghosting with fast motion present in sports.

I believe they stated they saw plasmas as a short term solution, and wanted to concentrate on longer term solutions. Such as LCD. And SXRD :p.

Gee. Seen any Sony LCoS based displays for sale lately? There's a market that failed to grow. I think they still have a few as FPTVs, but no more RPTVs.

I wonder why Sony dosen't have any plasma options.:confused:

Sony did not have the resources to build both plasma and LCD plants, so they decided to build LCD (partnered with Samsung). At the time they made their decision plasma looked like it was going to be overrun by LCD. Panasonic built new plants and was able to undercut LCD pricing with their plasma sets and won back consumers.

Both plasma and LCD are making such strides in picture quality, and costs it is really hard to say who, if either will "win".

OLED doesnt exist.

LCD and Plasma are very different technologies. You will have to chose what you want.

Also consider the Samsung LCD panels, they have excellent contrast ratios and the new ones even have the ability to calibrate out accurately.

You wont go wrong with Sony lcd's, panny plasmas or Sammy lcd's/plasmas. I prefer plasma, the new 8 series panny's are nice (42" 1080p is VERY cheap), but Ive heard the new Samsungs are nice too.

Im very happy with my 85u

When I put in ;) it means I'm not quite serious. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge (what's it like?).

OLED doesnt exist.

LCD and Plasma are very different technologies. You will have to chose what you want.

Also consider the Samsung LCD panels, they have excellent contrast ratios and the new ones even have the ability to calibrate out accurately.

Add my agreement that the Sammy LCD's are excellent. I was in CC a few days ago looking at one product but happened upon the new Sammy 52750. The picture was one of the best LCD's I've seen. can't go wrong with that set.g

Add my agreement that the Sammy LCD's are excellent. I was in CC a few days ago looking at one product but happened upon the new Sammy 52750. The picture was one of the best LCD's I've seen. can't go wrong with that set.g

I read somewhere that Samsung and Sony use the same LCD panels in their TVs.

If you watch alot of movies like I do, I'd say go with dlp. Ever since I bought mine I cannot say enough about how well it works for blu-rays and hd-dvd's. Also is very good for sports programming, not nearly the amount of motion blur as an lcd or plasma.

Anyone own a Sammy LED DLP? If so, what do you think of it? I own a 50" Sammy RPTV that's just shy of 6 years old and has gone through a color wheel motor and 3 lamps, but has a great picture. I want to move up to a 56" or 58" DLP but get away from the color wheel and 8k hour lamps.

I've looked at the 120Hz Sammy LCD and the picture is spectacular, but it's only 52" and only Toshiba makes a 120Hz LCD that's larger than 52" and it tends to have issues.

So, anyone own a large Sammy LED DLP?