Do i need other cables

CRMINNISIII

Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I had DirecTV hookup up a HD-DVR receiver to my Sony HDTV, I will be buying a Sony str-dg510 receiver. I under stand that to make it work I will hookup the HDMI cable to the TV and I will need a optical Toslink cable for the audio. Is that correct. Will I need any other cables?
CRMINNISIII

I had DirecTV hookup up a HD-DVR receiver to my Sony HDTV, I will be buying a Sony str-dg510 receiver. I under stand that to make it work I will hookup the HDMI cable to the TV and I will need a optical Toslink cable for the audio. Is that correct. Will I need any other cables?
CRMINNISIII

Yes, that will work. You could also add another HDMI cable (1 from the receiver to the TV, one from the sat to the receiver) and be able to switch both audio and video at the receiver. That way you could add a DVD or BluRay player and have one button switching.

Agreeing with jayn_j, you're more likely to migrate to a system where the receiver does the switching for you, and a higher end system will route all video and audio via HDMI cables alone, tho' you still might need a couple of optical and/or component connections. I suggest buying a collection of HDMI version 1.3 cables of several lengths and perhaps an optical cable or two. 3' and 6' lengths are most likely what you'll need, but you might also want/need something longer. Make a list then get them all at the same time to save on shipping at a place like monoprice.com:

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!.

You'll pay only a couple of $ for cables from a source like this, vs. a huge amount at the B&M stores like Best Buy and even Wal*Mart, so it pays to have a few "spares"...

Welcome BTW to the OP...!

Last edited:
Very good point. There is little more frustrating than finding yourself short a cable late at night, whether it be adding new toys or troubleshooting a problem. I always have at least one spare of every type of cable I have in my system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)