Question. Settle an argument.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SHOCKEDHAWK

Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Will existing cable work for a satellite (DTV) system? I say no, my friend says no problem.

Does the cable companies now use RG6?

Most cable companies now use RG6, so there shouldn't be a problem. Also, the older RG59 should work okay if the length isn't too long. And, there aren't any splitters hidden in the walls.

I use it all the time.. Around here the cable company uses RG-6 Quad shield solid copper.. Shoot that's better than what I use on a standard install..

RG59 will work most of the time unless there is an unusual amount of distance.

RG59 will work most of the time unless there is an unusual amount of distance.
I guess you never read any Satellite manuals or guides. In everyone I own RG-6 is what it calls for.
Why anyone would use a lesser cable with about a 2% cost difference is beyond me. Have fun with your RG-59,Just stay as far away from my house as possible.

I guess you never read any Satellite manuals or guides. In everyone I own RG-6 is what it calls for.
Why anyone would use a lesser cable with about a 2% cost difference is beyond me. Have fun with your RG-59,Just stay as far away from my house as possible.
What does that have to do with his statement which was on short runs it will work?

What does that have to do with his statement which was on short runs it will work?

IIRC, it's fine for some signals, but for the new signals from the ka sats you may run into problems.

Going off of what I remember (or was awake for) from my SBCA class:

If you look at the center conductor of your coax cable, imagine concentric rings going outwards. The center of the conductor passes the voltage, and then as you proceed outward, it carries the signal. Closer to the center is the lower frequency signals, and as you get farther away the signal frequency gets higher.

Now compare the difference between the center conductors of RG-59 and RG-6 cable. Can you see where RG-59, with it's smaller center conductor, might have problems carrying higher frequency signals without interference?

RG-59 is not recommended. If its in the wall,you better run new RG-6. If I ever found out my Installer used RG-59. He wouldn't have a job.

not recommended true. but if choice between no dish for you or rg59 i go with latter.

So are you going to go out to the MILLIONS of homes that had cable put in back in the '70, '80, and 90's and replace all of it ?

There are alot of jobs that you cannot run new stuff to.

Jimbo

Going off of what I remember (or was awake for) from my SBCA class:

If you look at the center conductor of your coax cable, imagine concentric rings going outwards. The center of the conductor passes the voltage, and then as you proceed outward, it carries the signal. Closer to the center is the lower frequency signals, and as you get farther away the signal frequency gets higher.

Now compare the difference between the center conductors of RG-59 and RG-6 cable. Can you see where RG-59, with it's smaller center conductor, might have problems carrying higher frequency signals without interference?

Whoever taught that class probably was referring to skin depth, but didn't understand electromagnetics. Actually a smaller diameter cable can carry a higher frequency (the cutoff for the higher order modes is higher in frequency). However, higher order modes occur at frequencies much higher than we are talking about here so that really isn't an issue. The real problem is that cable loss will be higher with the smaller cable. Additionally, the IR loss (voltage drop) will be greater for a smaller diameter cable, which can cause problems with multiswitches and LNBs. Short lengths of RG59 can be used, but should be avoided if possible.

So are you going to go out to the MILLIONS of homes that had cable put in back in the '70, '80, and 90's and replace all of it ?

There are alot of jobs that you cannot run new stuff to.

Jimbo
I'm pretty sure D* Would run new wire . I know what your saying. But if they see you have RG59,I doubt many will use it.They have never had a problem running new wires in my house.

Everyone:
I can't believe I'm even defending this issue,In the Directv form no less. This shouldn't even be questioned, RG-6 is what you are supposed to use for Satellite tv. End of story. It even states that in my 1995 RCA Manual from my very first Directv receiver to use RG-6. I've seen Directv run wires in basements,undersiding,even under ground . I've even seen them drill a hole and put their own boxes in. If your telling me that sometimes your forced to use what cable is in the house,I'm sorry but thats not valid!Its 2007 guys! I've yet to see Directv do an Install or E* and use exsiting wire . Out of everyone I know Directv has run all of their own wires. Well I gave it my all on the subject. Sorry I couldn't help better,but I guess this could go on and on . But I'm tired ,so later!!

Last edited:
I refuse to tell a customer he can't have a dish because he has RG-59 cable. Sometimes the cable is just in a place that can't be replaced and customer doesn't want unsightly wires coming in some other way.. .
You can argue till your blue in the face about never using it.. But sometimes you just have no choice..Keep the run as short as possible and there should be no problems.

Most cable companies now use RG6, so there shouldn't be a problem. Also, the older RG59 should work okay if the length isn't too long. And, there aren't any splitters hidden in the walls.

i think that about sums it up.

Saying that you cant use RG-59 for satellite viewing is like saying you cant hook up your speakers with lamp cord. If it carries an electric currant it will display a picture. Use a cut up extension cord if you want.

My suggestion would be to go with the RG-6 if you are running new wire. If not then stick with whats there. Also conduct your own test and see if theres a difference in the signal.

What we should be thinking about is how one day RG-6 wont be suffeicent to carry the data we need. Hmmmmm lets see 100,000,000 homes all needing new and improved cable to watch tv. Call your stock brokers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts