QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sometimes when that hdmi handshake bug shows up, i'm forced to reboot the hopper using the red button behind the front flap.

It appears that PTAT may be getting re-enabled when it's reset like this. It essentially locked out a tuner all night.....

I guess it's also possible because of the way the menu system works that someone accidentally button clicked it back on by clicking select too many times on the remote, but it happened very soon after rebooting for that to be the cause.

It would be nice to find a way to hide and permanently disable PTAT so that it doesn't even show in the menus or the DVR recording page.

Last edited:
For those who already have Hopper, how is the range on the remotes? Any issues with interference impacting range when having the hopper / Joey's around several componets? Do you think I'll have issues having a Joey located in my house, then using an RF modulator to split the signal so that I can put a TV in my detached garage (about 100 feet from where Joey will be)? I have heard that the new wireless technology these remotes are using can work up to 200 feet but curious if anyone has tried from a distance that I am describing? Thanks.

For those who already have Hopper, how is the range on the remotes? Any issues with interference impacting range when having the hopper / Joey's around several componets? Do you think I'll have issues having a Joey located in my house, then using an RF modulator to split the signal so that I can put a TV in my detached garage (about 100 feet from where Joey will be)? I have heard that the new wireless technology these remotes are using can work up to 200 feet but curious if anyone has tried from a distance that I am describing? Thanks.

I have a Joey in the basement next to the wiring box that is split using an RF Modulator and one of the TVs connected to it is on the top floor of the house and the remote still works great.

My hopper crashes when I tune into several local channels like NBC or FOX.
Both Joey's do so as well.
It also crashes when I go into the my account tab.

Last edited:
My Hopper froze up tonight. Had to do a soft reset to get it back. The Joeys froze right along with it.

My 2 1/2 year old daughter was wathcing a recorded program this morning while I was in the kitchen. She came up to me and said her show stopped. I just assumed the recording was over. I go into the living room to a blank screen!!! I check and all devices are still powered. The Hopper lights indicated it was on, and recording, but would not respond to any remote commands. Shut every thing down for a few, then powered them back up. The Hopper came up with the "Hopper Starting Up" screen. The screen cycled on and off 3 or 4 times, then back to normal operation. No other steps or screens you would see like if you did a reset. First, and hopefully the last time I'll see that happen.

Same thing happened on our Hopper once. While watching a DVR recording the screen went black. Gave it a minute without touching anything and it rebooted iself.

Last edited:
This is one thing that has me concerned with the host/client setup like the Hopper/Joey system. Lots of dependencies on the Moca network and all the equipment to make everything work. We used to run thin clients at work and when they worked they worked well, but when our server or network had an issue, everything would act up. Nature of the beast I guess but here's hoping that these issues get rectified or at least are only seen once in a great while. I surely don't want to be rebooting my equipment several times a day. One of the reasons I have 2 Hoppers in case one takes a dump I'll at least be able to salvage some TV viewing.

Sometimes when that hdmi handshake bug shows up, i'm forced to reboot the hopper using the red button behind the front flap.

It appears that PTAT may be getting re-enabled when it's reset like this. It essentially locked out a tuner all night.....

I guess it's also possible because of the way the menu system works that someone accidentally button clicked it back on by clicking select too many times on the remote, but it happened very soon after rebooting for that to be the cause.

It would be nice to find a way to hide and permanently disable PTAT so that it doesn't even show in the menus or the DVR recording page.

now PTAT won't disable on that hopper. It's just stuck on enable.

I had the exact thing happen. I couldn't disable it. I tried every day to disable for almost two weeks. The checkbox would go to disable. But when I went back to check, it was on again. Finally, one day when I did it, it stayed disabled. Not sure why.

I had the exact thing happen. I couldn't disable it. I tried every day to disable for almost two weeks. The checkbox would go to disable. But when I went back to check, it was on again. Finally, one day when I did it, it stayed disabled. Not sure why.
i'm about ready to factory reset that hopper box before PTAT starts locking out a tuner again in the evening.

Found a partial solution to the problem of one of my Hoppers not recording PTAT after it worked for a couple of days after installation. I switched the two Hoppers to see if the problem moved but it stayed at the living room location so it wasn't the Hopper. It now seems that PTAT does not like tuner 3. Prior to PTAT start time, I put the problem Hopper in standby and turned on it's Joey, then turned on the Hopper. On the red button screen, the Joey had tuner 1 and the Hopper had tuner 2 and 3. I then put the Joey in standby and tuner 1 showed available. PTAT started recording for the first time in a week at my living room location, success!

Also found that on the point dish screen, tuner 3 would usually show "Locked - name not acquired", tuners 1 and 2 would show the sat name. Signal strength would be fine. A check switch seems to fix this, both Hoppers act this way. The bedroom Hopper always recorded PTAT, probably because it was always in standby at PTAT time so it would use tuner 1. I will continue to play around to get to the bottom of this.

Found a partial solution to the problem of one of my Hoppers not recording PTAT after it worked for a couple of days after installation. I switched the two Hoppers to see if the problem moved but it stayed at the living room location so it wasn't the Hopper. It now seems that PTAT does not like tuner 3. Prior to PTAT start time, I put the problem Hopper in standby and turned on it's Joey, then turned on the Hopper. On the red button screen, the Joey had tuner 1 and the Hopper had tuner 2 and 3. I then put the Joey in standby and tuner 1 showed available. PTAT started recording for the first time in a week at my living room location, success!

Also found that on the point dish screen, tuner 3 would usually show "Locked - name not acquired", tuners 1 and 2 would show the sat name. Signal strength would be fine. A check switch seems to fix this, both Hoppers act this way. The bedroom Hopper always recorded PTAT, probably because it was always in standby at PTAT time so it would use tuner 1. I will continue to play around to get to the bottom of this.

I'm going to try this tonight. PTAT has only worked on my hoppers 1 night since I had it installed on Sunday. The night it did work it worked on both Hoppers but I'm not sure what I was doing differently that night. Please keep us updated.

Scott,
While the information in this thread is helpful, the valuable data contained within is getting obscured by the volume of posts. Can you talk to Dish and get the list of known bugs? Also, please post a list of updates that addresses each bug as they are developed and released. Keeping these lists up-to-date would serve us very well as we, (the early adopters,) patiently work through the through the beta testing process.

Thanks for help.
Jim K

Can you talk to Dish and get the list of known bugs?
I think I can answer that .... "No".

Seriously though, Dish will never release such a list. They may occasionally acknowledge something as a known issue or may mention something (a bug) that was fixed in the release notes for an update.

Since we're not getting any sort of feedback that these are known bugs (especially the bigger one's).....

I would post your bugs in this thread and then carbon copy to one of the following:

1) Go through their Tech Support Chat link and get your complaint manually documented by the Advanced Technical Support guy so he can forward it to their engineering dept. Might even be good to give them a receiver id in the chat (if it's specific to a certain box).

OR

2) Contact a DIRT member with a report and they'll be able to send it to engineering with your account number. (include a receiver id, if it's a specific box)

Last edited:
A really strange problem with one hopper. I created a favs list using List 1. My local NBC Channel 10 would not show in the guide even after several attempts to add it. PTAT worked ok. I then recreated the favs list using List 2 and it was ok.

I have the exact same issue, with the same channel and favorite list. Added it to List 2, and it worked.

Also, DLNA seems to work on only the Hopper. The joeys do not see any of my devices hat serve up media.

Was watching on the joey, and I had 96 recordings of a show in a folder. I organized them by episode number (thank you!) but the screen froze then the joehad a message saying that it was attempting to connect to the hopper. I had to rest the Hopper for it to connect.

Thumbnails appear for EHD recording on the transfer menu, but not when accessed through the DVR menu. And appear if those recordings are transferred to the DVR HD.

So I was trying to use the dish app on my ipad with the hopper and i just realized that I no longer can use the ipad as a remote to crontrol the reciever I been always been able to use this feature with the 922. Is this normal since I have the sling adaptor now instead of having it ingraged when I had my 922

I had the same issue with the external hard drive. The first time I plugged it into the Hopper it was detected and I was able to transfer programs from it to the EHD. Next day a transfer was interrupted suddenly with an error that the drive was disconnected (it was not). The only way I found for the Hopper to recognise the EHD again was to press the red reset button.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)