QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The box will automatically shut itself off at 1:00am to get updates even if you don't have it set to shut off after hours of inactivity. You can choose how many hours of inactivity you want before the box will shut off or just set it not to turn off due to inactivity. Either way the box will shut itself down at 1:00am.

If you happen to be watching tv at 1:00am it will give you a warning and allow you to cancel the shut down. According to someone else on this forum if you manually cancel the 1:00am shutdown it will try again at 2:00am and so on.

As far as I know it needs to shut itself down to check for software updates. During this shut down it will also download additional program guide information.

Auto-tune timers set on the Joey do not wake up the Joey and tune in the desired channel.

I absolutely am on the Timers screen when I started. The Edit Action pull down at the top only allows me to change the Priority or Delete the timer that is selected. As I stated there are only two options for me on the Timer screen when an individual timer is selected which are to continue to the Timer Schedule screen which does give me an Edit Timer option that doesn't work, and Delete Timer.

I created all but one of the timers using the search function. This is bizarre that others have different options on that Timers screen.

Hello All,

Has anyone found a solution to this? Maybe a step by step guide on how to edit scheduled timers will help us. I can't figure this out for the life of me and it is driving me nuts. Thanks guys....

In my experience, "Seek" timers cannot be edited. "DVR" timers can be edited.

What's the difference? Seek was created using "Seek and Record". DVR was created using either the guide, or a search result and selecting "Record Series".

There is, of course, a functional difference in that Seek can include any or All channels, where DVR is only one channel. Still, a Seek timer, even with only one channel selected, is still a Seek timer.

Last edited:

What's the difference? Seek was created using "Seek and Record". DVR was created using either the guide, or a search result and selecting "Record Series".

There is, of course, a functional difference in that Seek can include any or All channels, where DVR is only one channel. Still, a Seek timer, even with only one channel selected, is still a Seek timer.

Thanks Jphil. I really appreciate your help. That makes sense now. Definitely a bug IMO. Thanks again. Also did anyone else notice how less functional Dish Online is after the Hopper/Joey install?

I only tested this on a Joey as of now..
The Sirius XM channels (namely tests the first two, Hits and Top 20 on 20) stutter like a buffering issue. Clicking Pause and then play a second later makes it work, even though it thinks it's live (no ability to fastforward / nothing happens when you click live). No normal channels stutter. Rarely I flip between the stations and hear it stutter free. But once I'm on a station that stutters, it doesn't fix itself, I must click pause.

I've noticed a couple of quirks (They may have been mentioned... I gave up about page 8, LOL)

While watching recordings (Joey) the skip ahead button sometimes doesn't.... it "skips" to right about where it was and all you see is a glitch in the video. After hitting it a couple of times it starts skipping backwards instead? You have to FFD to get by commercials. Odds are by the next set of commercials it will work fine.

Sometimes it will hang up on the "Searching for Hopper "Living Room" when I power up the Bedroom Joey. I have to unplug/replug after which it usually will pass the connecting screen so fast you don't have time to read it.

I always seem to have to choose "Start over" to watch anything from the DVR.... it's not very intuitive. "Play" is pretty standard... why not just use "Play". Also, most of the time when I try to delete something it either says it's in use or the "Delete" option just plain isn't there... why do I have to play the show (again), hit stop then go back to the screen (Again) to delete? If I select "Delete" just assume i want the stupid thing stopped and deleted already. Maybe pop up a box "In use, delete anyway?" or something.

We've got a 1H3J setup with one EHD (transferred from the previous 622).

When going to Transfer Recordings, only a subset of what's on the internal Hopper HD is show available to transfer. I do notice the scroll bar makes it look like there's more further down, but there's no way to scroll down - the last row typically is NOT full and selecting down from the last row wraps back up to the header area.
Got a lot of stuff I'd prefer to move to the EHD but I can't right now :/

Maybe related - day before yesterday the unit went into a 770 check ("May take up to 10 minutes") - we gave up at 31 minutes because my wife needed to be watching something (she's in severe chronic pain and sometimes uses the TV as a trancing focus). Maybe we've got a hard drive issue on the new Hopper? Is there a way to force that 770 check some time when we can just let it run?

I'll further note we had the Sunday night issue - Celebrity Apprentice ending got cut off. Wife was NOT happy and talked about going back to just setting timers for everything we like, but that would put us back to effectively two tuners. Sigh.

Well that does explain what I am seeing as just about all of them were Seek timers. In my opinion I should be able to edit any timer. As far as I know there was no such Seek timer on the VIP 722 I had previously, as I only recall seeing DVR and Autotune options in the menu.

Ohhh, another quirk... I noticed the other day that I had a row of show icosn but I couldnt select the one on the far right. In order to get to it I had to arrow to the left until it wrapped past the left side of the screen and it then would highlight the icon on the right.

Mine did this for the first couple of days then it fixed itself and I have no idea how.

Well my PTAs have show logos but normal recordings have station logos now...

Just switched over from directv, I really miss the followings

1) 15 minutes fast jump on dvr playback
2) Playback of entire folder

Also, not able to share guide lists among hoppy/joeys is tedious at best.

Well my PTAs have show logos but normal recordings have station logos now...

Just switched over from directv, I really miss the followings

1) 15 minutes fast jump on dvr playback
2) Playback of entire folder

Also, not able to share guide lists among hoppy/joeys is tedious at best.
1) Not quite the same, but 3 seconds of FFWD at 300x is 15 minutes. You could make a macro for that if you have a universal remote.
2) I'd like that too, but DirecTV ruined that feature for me when they started tracking how much of each program you had watched. So if you had watch any programs in the folder before, they wouldn't play again during group playback. That really messed up my ability to easily transfer programs to my DVD recorder. But I guess it works the way some people want.

Well that does explain what I am seeing as just about all of them were Seek timers. In my opinion I should be able to edit any timer. As far as I know there was no such Seek timer on the VIP 722 I had previously, as I only recall seeing DVR and Autotune options in the menu.

I agree, all timers should be editable. That said, I only figured this out because I accidentally created a seek timer and couldn't change it. I personally have very little need to record with a search across multiple channels.

Oh, and on the 722 "Seek and Record" = "Dish Pass".

Last edited:
Yes, and Dish Pass timers couldn't be edited either, except for channel/frequency/resolution.

I agree, all timers should be editable. That said, I only figured this out because I accidentally created a seek timer and couldn't change it. I personally have very little need to record with a search across multiple channels.

Oh, and on the 722 "Seek and Record" = "Dish Pass".

I was trying to enter all of my timers from my retired 722 in the most expedient manner (which was also non-DishOnline due to the issues people brought up) and chose the first option which apparently generated the Seek timers. So the long answer is to get it completely flexible I need to delete them all and re-add using the Record Series option of the search or find an instance in the guide and set the timer from there?

I was trying to enter all of my timers from my retired 722 in the most expedient manner (which was also non-DishOnline due to the issues people brought up) and chose the first option which apparently generated the Seek timers. So the long answer is to get it completely flexible I need to delete them all and re-add using the Record Series option of the search or find an instance in the guide and set the timer from there?

Even the DVR timer is not completely flexible. A) It only records programs on one channel. B) You cannot edit the channel.

I would just leave the timers as seek, and only change the ones you want to edit (i.e. Delete them and create a DVR timer)

dont know if this has been mentioned but when when you make a favorites list then switch to that list within the guide if you reboot the hopper(like it does at 1am every night) it switches back to the default list which is "all channels".

this used to work on a earlier version of software on the 922 but then i lost it maybe 6-9 months ago i thought it was my receiver but its happening on the hopper now also

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts