QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The way the PTAT technology("magic") works is it records the ENTIRE transponder data stream, and then de-multiplexes it on the receiver. It can't tell what's what.

Usability:
If you are watching a HD local from the PTAT tuner and PTAT ends, the video stream freezes with the live tv notification blinking.

You have to go to the guide to get to the program.

It should seamlessly keep on the station you are watching.

I noticed this too, but under a different scenario: watching a show and press Record to record the rest of the show. The video froze at that point with the Live TV box displayed. The video should continue playing just like it did with my 722.

Todd

I just switched from DirecTv and noticed one thing that I miss - when watching a show (whether recorded or live) I could press the play button and see where I'm at in the show via a progress bar. PTAT has a progress bar but it doesn't line up actual time of the recording you're watching. I haven't recorded an off-network show yet to see if it's there....
I missed that too, coming from DirecTV. But if you press OK (Select), you get a Time Left number in the top banner. Not as nice as a progress bar, but you don't have to interrupt playback like pause would do.

Also, while watching a PTAT program, the time left seems to just be the current delay from live, and not the scheduled end of the show.

It would be nice(tm) to get BOTH numbers.

PTAT: I enabled the PTAT so I could see if i would like it. Wasn't that happy with it so i tried to disable after primetime hours and the next day and it will not disable. Everytime I check it, it is enabled again. Has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:
I didn't look at the entire thread so I don't know if this is mentioned:

In regards to Sling Adapter use on the iPhone (this might apply to other mobile apps I didn't test it):
Prime-time Anytime recordings are mixed in with the user recordings. These recordings should be separated some how like they are in the DVR by putting them in a separate PTAT folder. It makes it kinds hard to find what you're looking for when they are all mixed together.

Brand new to Dish (from DirecTV). Install yesterday for one Hopper and one Joey and it went very well but last night PTAT did not activate and record. Locals are available and in HD. Verified PTAT set to enabled. NAda.

A lot of stuff doesn't work properly in the first 24 hrs on Hopper or the 922. Hopefully, it will work better for you tonight. In any case you may want to contact Dish and have them send a hit to your receiver just in case something isn't right.

A lot of stuff doesn't work properly in the first 24 hrs on Hopper or the 922. Hopefully, it will work better for you tonight. In any case you may want to contact Dish and have them send a hit to your receiver just in case something isn't right.

Thanks mdavej, I was also told it can take a couple of days to get going so I will give it until Friday night but think I may call them as you suggest just in case...can't hurt.

It seems like it takes a while for all of the guide data to populate. And, a check switch does NOT force a guide update. I wonder what, if any, the magic "I want a guide download now" keys are for the Hopper.

It seems like it takes a while for all of the guide data to populate. And, a check switch does NOT force a guide update. I wonder what, if any, the magic "I want a guide download now" keys are for the Hopper.

Try jumping forward in the guide until it offers to update.

To get to Altitude HD I have to actually enter 412-02 to get the HD channel or go through the guide. Otherwise I just get the SD version and hitting channel up skips the HD channel also.

I also have the same problem with the audio time delay between the Hopper and the Joey. It makes it impossible for me to go to the kitchen 15 feet away and watch that TV while someone else is watching the Program on the Hopper in the living room.

Barbara

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Like many others, some of the items are bothersome: Some way to copy favorites over from Joey to Joey or Hopper to Joey, when you have six boxes, it's really time consuming.

When clicking on the guide during prime time, it shouldn't be using an additional timer. I know there are ways around this, but this should be transparent.

Nobody has mentioned this, so I guess it's just our weird habits. My wife likes to have a TV on in almost every room "watching" the same program. For some reason the Joey attached TVs are anywhere from about a second to over 3 seconds behind the Hopper, both picture and sound. Either this delay should not be present or there should be some way to adjust it.

-While in a menu sub-page, pressing "cancel" closes the menu entirely, bringing the user to Live TV, instead of returning to previous menu screen, as it does with VIP models. This is inefficient, as much of the time I want to stay in the menu hierarchy. If I wanted Live TV, I'd press "Live TV".

To get to Altitude HD I have to actually enter 412-02 to get the HD channel or go through the guide. Otherwise I just get the SD version and hitting channel up skips the HD channel also.
That is because they inexplicably included small groups of channels like RSN's and Internationals to their nested channel feature, instead of using it only for large groups like SiriusXM, DishCD/Audio, and PPV.

Resetting the Hopper worked the two times that I tried it.

Barbara

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

How long was it since your last guide update?? I've done a check switch on my 722 only a few hours after a guide update, without a new update occurring....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)