QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
At 1:00am today the Hopper popped a message about checking for updates. Currently it displays the "System Integrity Check 770" screen which says that the test can take up to 10 minutes. Right now the Elapsted Time timer shows that 29 minutes have already passed and it is still going.

Update: these "10 minutes" took actually 32 minutes.

Is there a way to set the time to check for system updates? It seems that currently this is happening at 1:00am which is too early for me.

Joey searching for hopper at startup each morning

I have to reset my Joey every morning to connect to hopper, will search for hopper unsuccessfully. Was working fine for a week or so !

I am have recording issues. The guide shos it is set to record but then it does not, I also had an issue wihtit only recording on 1 tunner ans saying on th eother shows a conflict. Last night it did not record PTAT even though it has been set to for a week, it has been recording PTAT fine. It also did not reord any of the off network shows it ws scheduled to. I have audio issues on HD channels, not all but for sure 105 and 138. NOne HD of those are fine. FOr days my local channel HD would not show on my ustom list even though it was selected, just all the sudden showed up not sure why. Back to recording issue, the Hopper will ot record a later showing of a program when there is a conflict ont he earlier time slot. My 625 always did. Thi is mostly on USA, SYFY, TNT which repeats shows all day. On the latter show it says already scheduled onteh earlier it has a conflict and won't record.

Basicly I don't mind being a tester, but I think we should get service fro free to be tester and have a number to call to report issues. I have called sih with every issue, one person says we are aware of the issue and working on it, the3 next ays te are no know issues with teh Hopper.

I'm having an issue with timers for cable shows not recording. For instance, I have The Killing and Game of Thrones set to record new episodes. Both shows premiere 4/1 but on my daily schedule, the new episodes are x'ed out and marked "already scheduled", but scrolling through as far as the schedule goes shows they're never going to record. I changed the schedule to override and record them manually, but that shouldn't be necessary.

I'm a bit hard of hearing, so I use Closed Captions on most programs. When watching a recording on the Hopper with closed captions on, after skipping forward the captions often disappear for up to ten minutes. Sometimes, if I skip back two or three times, the captions reappear. This never happened with the VIP receivers I had.

snijjar said:
So I was trying to use the dish app on my ipad with the hopper and i just realized that I no longer can use the ipad as a remote to crontrol the reciever I been always been able to use this feature with the 922. Is this normal since I have the sling adaptor now instead of having it ingraged when I had my 922
Should still work fine. Make sure you log out and back in so sites sees your new hopper instead of the old 922.

So one thing I woudl like to see updated is a TV format setting that holds that format on every channel. Coming off a 625 connected through my Sony Media center. Having the channel change sizes drives me nuts, my 625 was always upgraded to 16x19. This is even happening on the HD channels the main show may be formated correctly but the commercials are not. So you have to either keep the format button close at hand or deal, I think the Hopper should AUTO format to 16x19

I'm having an issue with timers for cable shows not recording. For instance, I have The Killing and Game of Thrones set to record new episodes. Both shows premiere 4/1 but on my daily schedule, the new episodes are x'ed out and marked "already scheduled", but scrolling through as far as the schedule goes shows they're never going to record. I changed the schedule to override and record them manually, but that shouldn't be necessary.

I have had this problem and other recording issues (Like 3/30 it did not record PTAT or anything else) SOme people at Dish say they know others say there is no record of this type of issue.

Question does your On Demend downloads pixelate sometimes during a show or movie?? When I record it's fine it's just downloading On Demend stuff.

Thanks,
Chris

Yes I have had this problem along with many other issue around DVR recording. Per dish there are no know issues with e DVR recording and as of yesterday they are sending me a new hopper stating mine is defective. LMAO funny how many people are having DVR issue yet it is not a "known issue" This from Tier 2 support

I've poked around the forum a little bit and didn't see this problem mentioned anywhere.

I have several timers on the DVR set. They were originally set on the Hopper using the guide. We did not transfer anything from my old VIP622. The Hopper install is a week old now and for the 1st several days everything seemed to work fine.

Last night I noticed that my DVR Daily Schedule is looking very empty... Went to the Timers... All my shows are there in "Timers" and set to "Only New". Flipped back to "Daily Schedule", one or two shows are shown... Most are missing. So... The Timer is set. But the schedule isn't showing the program is scheduled to record or skipped. I went to the guide and looked up one of the shows, it doesn't indicate the show is scheduled to record (even though it's a new episode).

I guess I'm going to go in and delete all the timers and reset them There's under 20 shows in the timer. I hope this fixes it.

Anyone else seeing this? Or have a good suggestion to fix it? Thanks!

Yes I have had this problem along with many other issue around DVR recording. Per dish there are no know issues with e DVR recording and as of yesterday they are sending me a new hopper stating mine is defective. LMAO funny how many people are having DVR issue yet it is not a "known issue" This from Tier 2 support

Hopper stopped while watching and hung. Screen froze for a minute then went black. Shut it off and on several times and then it rebooted itself. Thankfully I wasn't recording anything.

Also, tried the Weather Channel App for the first time and it froze on the logo screen after exiting the app. Could change channels and hear the audio but Weather Channel app logo stayed on the screen. Bringing up the guide made it go away while the guide was up but it came back after selecting any channel. Had to reset.

Question does your On Demend downloads pixelate sometimes during a show or movie?? When I record it's fine it's just downloading On Demend stuff.

Thanks,
Chris

Mine does. I watched all 10 episodes of Game of Thrones in HD from HBO on demand this week because I wanted to get caught up before the season 2 premier tonight. Usually it would pixelate and drop the audo for a second once or twice per episode. If I skip back it will do it again at the exact same moment so the recording is being saved this way.

My guess is that it is caused by a temporary drop in bandwidth and then it straightens itself back out. It's not a huge deal to me because it is usually only 1 or 2 seconds of an hour long program at least in my case.

Last edited:
My wife is very close to having me put the VIP922 back! We are still trying to get use to the changes. The 922 worked so well, here are the issues we have, I hope they get addressed soon.

* They have to allow you to delete PrimeTime recordings. The list is huge and there is no way to see what you watched. I understand that they cannot actually delete the recording, but just hide it after its watched. We have figured out that if you set recordings on the prime time channels, you can delete those. So for now we set timers on the shows we watch and keeps us out of the primetime view.

* Please list items like they were on the 922! The small squares with graphics is just too busy and hard to read. When you hightlight an item you cannot read it any longer! Just give us a list without all the graphics. (just like the 922)

* Its nice that it shows you if you watched a program (with the green progress bar), but put it on the top level view. Its useless if I have to go into a menu to see it. (would be easy to do if the item was listed in a list format)

* The guide font is too small and the black on silver is hard to read. Again, the guide on the 922 was excellent.

* Bug: When viewing a primetime recording, pressing skip forward would take us to live tv. Happens many times, but not all the time. Has not happened with timed recordings.

* I assume the apps are not working yet? Most cannot connect to any service, only blackjack works. I clicked on the twitter app and the system locked up, had to re-boot.

* When a remote system connects using the sling adapter a message appears on the screen. My wife gives me a dirty look everytime this happens, and it happens a lot since you have to try a few times to get the ipad app to connect. Please allow us to disable this message!

* If you are watching a recorded program and just change to another channel without hitting pause, it keeps playing so if you go back later, you cannot resume. The 922 would automatically pause.

The biggest improvement that can be made to the UI is to get rid of the "boxes" display, change that to a list. Moving up/down/left/right is a real pain and the boxes are too hard to read. Simplify the UI!

WAF is low at the moment with this thing.

Last edited:
...* They have to allow you to delete PrimeTime recordings. The list is huge and there is no way to see what you watched. I understand that they cannot actually delete the recording, but just hide it after its watched. We have figured out that if you set recordings on the prime time channels, you can delete those. So for now we set timers on the shows we watch and keeps us out of the primetime view...

When you move the pointer to a show, doesn't the "play" prompt say play, resume or start over? It does for sure if you "select" instead of hitting "play".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)