QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Very much disagree!

Can you imagine the length of lists if that were the primary interface. The new icon design is an elegant interface solution to the vastly increased number of recordings that can be made on this new product. The old ways are necessarily gone. After a little time, you will grow to like the new way better and you'll learn the features to make it work better for you.
The icon design is a solution that works well in some cases, but not in all, and not for all people. It is by no means "necessarily gone," nor is it a suitable solution to having more recordings. There is less data on screen due to the size of the icons, but yet the type is smaller than it needs to be. There is a well established precedent in interfaces that allows for both an icon view and a list view, and trying different things is not necessarily progress. There is a reason why the iPad can get away with doing away with it (swipe, swipe, swipe and you've just viewed three screens worth of icons), and a reason why it is not the be-all-end-all here. Not having an easily viewable list view is was an easily correctable oversight that was not a result of user interface studies.

benylevy said:
The icon design is a solution that works well in some cases, but not in all, and not for all people. It is by no means "necessarily gone," nor is it a suitable solution to having more recordings. There is less data on screen due to the size of the icons, but yet the type is smaller than it needs to be. There is a well established precedent in interfaces that allows for both an icon view and a list view, and trying different things is not necessarily progress. There is a reason why the iPad can get away with doing away with it (swipe, swipe, swipe and you've just viewed three screens worth of icons), and a reason why it is not the be-all-end-all here. Not having an easily viewable list view is was an easily correctable oversight that was not a result of user interface studies.

I've found that "page up" and "page down" provide similar functionality to swiping on an iOS device.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes, from the 25 episode limit. However, what I am talking about being able to do, like the 722, require a password before a program is deleted. Unless I am missing something here, the Hopper/Joey cannot do that.

You can either select to protect an existing recording or select to have any timer protect all recordings it makes. Protect does mean a password is required. (as long as the receiver is locked just like the 722)

The icon design is a solution that works well in some cases, but not in all, and not for all people. It is by no means "necessarily gone," nor is it a suitable solution to having more recordings.

QFT. I like it at 52", not so much at 36", and on my "movie" EHD (where there are NO icons, just grey boxes) it's a PITA.

Odd BUG, v2.07 software: Select button no longer works to turn the hopper on from standby. Used to work, just stopped. Power and Sat button still work normally to power on and off.

New major problem.
Pressing Menu & selecting PTAT takes you to the PTAT folder rather than giving the menu to disable.
So how is a person supposed to disable PTAT.

This is on BOTH Hoppers one with S207 & one with S209.

New major problem.
Pressing Menu & selecting PTAT takes you to the PTAT folder rather than giving the menu to disable.
So how is a person supposed to disable PTAT.

This is on BOTH Hoppers one with S207 & one with S209.

menu ---> settings ---> DVR Defaults ---> PTAT

that should get you to the disable option

Odd BUG, v2.07 software: Select button no longer works to turn the hopper on from standby. Used to work, just stopped. Power and Sat button still work normally to power on and off.

Just realized, this isn't select not bringing the box back from standby, the hopper isn't going fully into standby in the first place, I think. Screensaver isn't coming up, just blank screen. Hopper's recording properly, everything else is working as it should, but when I press power on the remote, it goes to blank screen (green power light does go out), instead of screensaver. Then to bring it back, power or Sat buttons work, select does not. Weird. Will see if a reset fixes after PTAT finishes recording tonight.

menu ---> settings ---> DVR Defaults ---> PTAT

that should get you to the disable option
Thanks

Seems kinda silly they moved the disable settings as they are supposed to be under the menu/PTAT tile.
That where its enabled at. Its also where the so called help says its at.

Just realized, this isn't select not bringing the box back from standby, the hopper isn't going fully into standby in the first place, I think. Screensaver isn't coming up, just blank screen. Hopper's recording properly, everything else is working as it should, but when I press power on the remote, it goes to blank screen (green power light does go out), instead of screensaver. Then to bring it back, power or Sat buttons work, select does not. Weird. Will see if a reset fixes after PTAT finishes recording tonight.

Nightly reset fixed the issue, but it fixed the issue by resetting the Hopper. Left my recordings and PTAT/timers set to record, but HD presets (resolution, screen size, guide settings) all reset on their own to factory default. Also, remote was unpaired. Once everything was put back the way it should be, looks ok again.

I also don't think it is a signal issue. The problem I have with mine, is it happens only once during a show and its always at the very end of the show. A 1 or 2 second audio drop/ picture freeze. Just checked both hoppers, same audio drop/picture freeze at same time on BBCA at the end of the show.Mine happens outside of PTAT also. I will PM DIRT.
i also have a slight blib with all my recordings at the end of them. actually if you hit the select button to bring up the top banner info, it is always when it has 3 minutes left on the recording, or it says "Time left: 3 min" does yours show that as to when this blip occurs?

i also have a slight blib with all my recordings at the end of them. actually if you hit the select button to bring up the top banner info, it is always when it has 3 minutes left on the recording, or it says "Time left: 3 min" does yours show that as to when this blip occurs?

I checked a couple of recordings. One had 2 min and the other 4 min left. I had tried different padding, so that may be the reason. Do you have it set to end 3 min late? I can see it on live tv. It happens at the end of the show. I see it every night on TBS on the Big Bang Theory, they show several shows back to back and its on all of them at the same time left in the show . Have you seen this on live tv? I think it happens on all shows when they end, but you have to be watching for it. It happens for only 1 or 2 seconds, so if you are not watching for it you wouldn't notice it. I didn't think anything about it the first time I saw it, then it happened again at the same time on the next show.

You can either select to protect an existing recording or select to have any timer protect all recordings it makes. Protect does mean a password is required. (as long as the receiver is locked just like the 722)
My system is locked, and my programs are set to protect, and yet, is still does not require a password before a program is deleted.

Obviously, there are a lot of these so-called "bugs." Is the Hopper.Joey really worth it? Thinking of switching from D* to save some money and get latest equipment, but is it really worth the aggravation with such buggy hardware?

Ira Lacher said:
Obviously, there are a lot of these so-called "bugs." Is the Hopper.Joey really worth it? Thinking of switching from D* to save some money and get latest equipment, but is it really worth the aggravation with such buggy hardware?

I switched from D and enjoying they system. My set up 2/Hopper 1/Joey

There are very few bugs. On the forum you are only hearing from those that actually have problems. Mine are running smoothly.

I recently switched from D* and do like the Hopper/Joey setup. I have seen some bugs (see my thread for details) but it Dish seems serious about resolving them. If you are concerned you may want to monitor the forum for a while before pulling the trigger, but I get the feeling most people are not seeing anything major.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)