Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goose482

Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Alrington, VA
Is it possible to get a FTA channel on DirectTV or Dish Network? And if so, what do I need to get it set up once i get DirectTV or Dish Network.

As for DirecTV, they use a proprietary stream (non-DVB), so FTA receivers would not receive any DirecTV channels, even if they happened to be in the clear.

Is it possible to get a FTA channel on DirectTV or Dish Network? And if so, what do I need to get it set up once i get DirectTV or Dish Network.
If you mean, "can I get FTA channels using DirecTV or DishNetwork receivers", the answer is: NO.
You would need a proper FTA receiver, and a proper FTA dish with suitable LNB.

Hopefully between all these answers, you'll find what you are seeking.
We're here and happy to help you do anything that's possible. - :up

As Anole said earlier, you will NOT be able to use a DirecTV or DISH Network satellite receiver to pickup FTA.

You also can NOT use a standard 18"-20"DirecTV or DISH Network dish to pickup signal from medium and low powered satellites that broadcast FTA channels because

1. The size of the satellite dish is too small for low and medium powered satellites.
  2. The LNBF frequency range is between 12.2-12.7GHz, which is outside the standard N. American Ku band broadcast range of 11.7-12.2GHz.
  3. The LNBF polarization they use is circular for the most part and standard Ku band uses linear.

There are many inexpensive satellite receivers on the market you can get for a good price. As for antenna, I would recommend you go with a 90cm / 36" dish antenna and either a standard or universal Ku band LNBF.

and:

... if I may add to what Robby wrote -

4. in most cases, the small dish cannot discriminate between adjacent satellites carrying FTA programming.
The high powered DBS satellites are spaced 9° apart, and ours are a lot less! :)

Yep, but wanted to give Rob a much deserved plug. :cool:

Ah, I didn't realize that they were one of our sponsors (The banner at the top of SatelliteGuys is directed to the wholesale site).
EDIT: Silly me, I should have known, I am using one of their LNB's (TechSAT TRACKER II+) for the scans :D

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)