Questions about 522

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

azcat

Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Folks,

First of all I want to thank all the people who contribute to this forum.

I ordered DISH DVR 522 yesterday. I'm moving from DirecTV. I have a single TV at the moment. I have a few questions and I would appreciate if someone can answer them.

- What are the benefits of leasing the equipment vs owning it? Dish said it will only cost me $25 for owning it. Granted I have to commit to one year programming. Also, is there a possiblity that I can get rid of the $4.98 DVR fee if I own it?

- I can't connect the 522 to my telephone line by a wire. I have to use wireless phone jack. Dish charges $39 for this. Do you guys recommend anything cheaper?

- I've read a lot about caller ID issues. What is the problem that people have with caller ID? I currently have caller ID with my regular land line. Will I lose it if I use wireless phone jack? Also, I have DSL with wireless access router. Will the wireless phone jack cause any problems?

Why did you ever change from Directv where you can have TiVo? The 522 is not available for sale you can only lease it. Wireless phone jacks as the basic model do not pass caller ID the new modem jacks do pass the ID. If you are getting the modem jacks for $39 you are getting a bargin. I don't know how the wireless jacks work with DSL. The only way to get rid of the $4.98 fee is to subscribe to the Americas Everything Pak at $80+.

Boba, thanks for answering my questions.

boba said:
Why did you ever change from Directv where you can have TiVo?

DirecTV charges $99 for getting Tivo. Also, programming on Dish is a lil cheaper than Directv.

The 522 is not available for sale you can only lease it.

I was told by the customer service rep that I can buy it for $25 if I commit to 1 year programming

Wireless phone jacks as the basic model do not pass caller ID the new modem jacks do pass the ID.

If I go wireless, will my regular phone(not connected to Wireless) have caller ID capability? Why would you need caller ID capability with DVR?

If you are getting the modem jacks for $39 you are getting a bargin. I don't know how the wireless jacks work with DSL. The only way to get rid of the $4.98 fee is to subscribe to the Americas Everything Pak at $80+.

I'm curious as well why the switch. I'm considering moving to DirecTV due to the lack of a purchable dual tuner unit (for a reasonable price, that is).

azcat said:
If I go wireless, will my regular phone(not connected to Wireless) have caller ID capability? Why would you need caller ID capability with DVR? .

Yes, your regular caller ID will still work. You would want caller ID with the DVR since it supports caller ID. E.g. when someone calls you get a pop-up message on the screen telling you who is calling. I love the feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)