Questions about Directv Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smackman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
north louisiana
I need some information before I make my switch to Direct from the "other".My current Receiver is a Dish 622 with the Dish Absoulte programming.
I have noticed that locals are not offered in my area Monroe, Louisiana (71203 zip).
.1 Can I "move" to Shreveport Louisiana(71101 zip) and be in the same spotbeam?

Also, I have noticed that Directv on their Website does not offer a OTA input to their HDDVR without a 50 dollar add on.
.2 Is this negotiable? Could I possibly use my excellent credit to negotiate? The website leads me to possibly believe this.

All of my OTA local affiliates are HD or Digital except ABC but thats a big problem.
.3 What model HD DVR is offered with the Plus HD DVR PKG.?

I also would like a 2nd HD Receiver in my Bedroom.
.4 Is there anyway to get around paying 99 dollars extra for a 2nd Receiver?

.5 Would I have more options if I purchased and self installed my equipment?

.6 Is a self install possible aand what would be the advantages?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I need some information before I make my switch to Direct from the "other".My current Receiver is a Dish 622 with the Dish Absoulte programming.
I have noticed that locals are not offered in my area Monroe, Louisiana (71203 zip).
.1 Can I "move" to Shreveport Louisiana(71101 zip) and be in the same spotbeam?

Also, I have noticed that Directv on their Website does not offer a OTA input to their HDDVR without a 50 dollar add on.
.2 Is this negotiable? Could I possibly use my excellent credit to negotiate? The website leads me to possibly believe this.

All of my OTA local affiliates are HD or Digital except ABC but thats a big problem.
.3 What model HD DVR is offered with the Plus HD DVR PKG.?

I also would like a 2nd HD Receiver in my Bedroom.
.4 Is there anyway to get around paying 99 dollars extra for a 2nd Receiver?

.5 Would I have more options if I purchased and self installed my equipment?

.6 Is a self install possible aand what would be the advantages?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

1. Sorry, cant help there... best answer is.. it is likely, but cant guarentee. Nobody knows for sure the spots for D10 and D11.
2. Yes. Many have tried to force this as a deal breaker and been able to get the AM21 thrown in for free.
3. You will either get a HR21 or HR22. Both are essentially the same with the HR22 having more recording capacity.
4. What type of receiver?
5. It would cost you a fortune. I dont think this is a viable option.
6. It is possible, but a real hassle and I think not worth it. The advtange is that you would be fully in control of running wires and the set up of your system. Also, You would not have to sign a contract.

1. Sorry, cant help there... best answer is.. it is likely, but cant guarentee. Nobody knows for sure the spots for D10 and D11.
2. Yes. Many have tried to force this as a deal breaker and been able to get the AM21 thrown in for free.
3. You will either get a HR21 or HR22. Both are essentially the same with the HR22 having more recording capacity.
4. What type of receiver?

A HD Receiver not a HD DVR Receiver for my 2nd Receiver.
I will need a 2nd Receiver to receive seperate programming since Directv's DVR fall short in this area compared to Dish's 622 or 722 dual output.
I might as well go HD for the 2nd one since I almost own a new 50" Panasonic for my bedroom.
On the website, they are wanting to charge me 99 dollars for a second Receiver(HD) and 50 dollars for the OTA add on Installation fee.

I have one more question:
Can the input OTA add on for Directv Receivers accept analog signals?
ABC in my area is still Analog; The other major affiliates are all HD and Digital signals.

Last edited:
A HD Receiver not a HD DVR Receiver for my 2nd Receiver.
I will need a 2nd Receiver to receive seperate programming since Directv's DVR fall short in this area compared to Dish's 622 or 722 dual output.
I might as well go HD for the 2nd one since I almost own a new 50" Panasonic for my bedroom.
On the website, they are wanting to charge me 99 dollars for a second Receiver(HD) and 50 dollars for the OTA add on Installation fee.

You MIGHT be able to get them to give a discount on this box. They arent doing it as much anymore, but they have in the past. One advantage of the seperate box over the method E* uses is that you will now have HD in BOTH rooms as oposed to SD at the second set. As for the OTA tuner box, you should have no problems getting that for free

Check around on here, there are many ways to get extra discounts. The referral program is one (it will save you $50 if I am not mistaken). There is also a thread on the AAA discount which can save you alot of money

Edit: I doubt you would have much of a problem "moving" from monroe to shreveport.

I've been searching online and at a Direct TV forum they dismissed external storage, but I've seen a couple of threads here about it. Does it connect to the USB port? It looks like although it's not as convenient as the Dish solution, but as long as I can expand storage space I can live with a few quirks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts