Questions about equipment...heck questions about A LOT of stuff!

TrailerParkFan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
the shores of Lake Erie
:eek:

Anyway, I while back I was all set to get my ShawDirect system but had to back out due to some personal problems that required a lot of my time, attention and money. So I am basically starting all over. Here are my questions:

1. I have a Directv HD satellite dish already on my house. Can I use this dish to pick up the Shaw satellite? I also have a SD Directv dish in my garage- just in case we decide to keep both systems for whatever reason. Would one work better then the other? I am just west of Cleveland Ohio so I am am not far off the beaten path or anything.

2. I am going to Ontario in October and planned on buying the Shaw receiver while I am there. (That is as long as it will work with my current dish.) Will I have to provide an address or anything at that time, or can I just buy it at a "big box" electronics store?

3. I have a Canadian phone number. It is a cell phone, but that shouldn't matter...should it?

4.Who the "HECK" can I get to point the dish to the right place?!?!?! PLEASE don't tell me I can do it myself, because I can't. TRUST ME, I am lucky that I can chew gum and walk at the same time. Me, a ladder, a roof and a satellite dish are NOT compatible!!! Everyone I call about satellite installation is associated with one of the US companies.

5. I really don't want to use my family member's address for my service. For one, my family is in Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan and my phone number is an Ontario phone number. I want to use my own cell phone number. I also don't want to pay a broker. So if anyone wants to trade addresses (ie...use my US one for US satellite services and I use yours for Canadian satellite) please PM me. OR if someone wants a few bucks just to use their address (without needing my US info) that would work too. Just know that I am NOT rich by any stretch of the imagination! ;)

I know that is A LOT to take in, but I miss my Canadian tv and until the day that I can move back, I REALLY want to find the most economical way to get this set up. As it is, I am paying a TON of money for a US satellite company and I am not very happy with the programming I am getting. If I am going to fork over what little money I have, I want to be HAPPY with what I am getting!

OH! ONE FINALLY QUESTION!!!!!

I do have a second (non-HD tv) set up to receive our current satellite. I read that Shaw is updating some of their receivers so I was wondering if an older SD receiver would work on my older SD TV. The main tv is HD, so for that one I will be getting a HD receiver, but for the second tv, I don't want to spend a lot of money on a receiver. Will the older (used) SD receivers still work or will I have to get a new SD receiver too?

MANY, MANY THANKS!!!! I read a LOT more then I post, so I appreciate the help!

Also, I'd like to get an idea about programming packages. I would want Treehouse and Nickelodeon for the kids...HGTV, TLC, FOOD, Showcase and CBC for me...and all the news channels. (CNN, HLN, FOX, MSNBC...)

Can I get those in the Digital Favourites package? I am finding the Shaw site a bit confusing when it comes to looking at the programming part.

1. no. Shaw uses KU Band whereas Directv uses KA & DBS Band so they are not compatible. You would need a different dish. Shaw has 2 dish sizes. 60e which is 32x18 and 75e which is 37x27. I'd get the 75e dish just mainly for rain fade
2. you can get a receiver there as they dont ask anything but the big box stores dont carry the dish. In Canada the installer brings the dish. So you can get the whole kit from kusat.com they sell the dishes and the receivers as a package and can ship to the states
3. nope. Heck you dont even need a Cad number. I call Shaw with my US number...the number they have on file is a Canadian area code but bogus (if I remember right)
4. good luck unfotunately. Most installers dont do Canadian setups because its grey market. You might be on your own unless someone here knows someone near you
5. Why not use the family address? The only drawback is the time would be off on the receiver due to different timezone.

Here is what is on Digital Favorites
Digital Favourites - Channel Descriptions - Store - Shaw Direct

and the whole programming guide
http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/documents/programming_guide_08_04_2010_east.pdf

all of what you want is on Favorites except Fox News

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't realize that the only thing off would be the time zone if I used my family's address. I guess I was just more worried about getting them in trouble.

I guess I can go through Kusat, I was just hoping that since I go to Ontario pretty often, I could just pick up a receiver...oh well.

If anyone lives around me that can do installation of the dish, give me a PM. I really don't think I want to tackle this myself.

Just use their address but your phone number to be on file. Set up for auto pay and paperless bill and your family wont ever know

May I ask your opinion on what receivers to get? I've been reading that Shaw is coming out with new receivers so I don't want to get something that will end up obsolete. I would like a HD receiver for the living room, and a SD for the playroom. I was reading at Kusat and I didn't notice HDMI ports on the HD receiver. Do they not have HDMI ports?
Also, I've never had PVR service (it is so much more extra with my current provider per month) is it really worth it?

if you go to Canada regularly, I suggest you look on CL or Kijiji for used 505 receivers. there will be a glut on the market in the next few weeks. just be sure to call SD to run the serial number to make sure they are clean

For your SDef receiver, be sure you get either a DSR-209 or a DSR-319 (both are current technology). All models previous to these will be ever-increasingly obselete as Shaw changes channels from QPSK to 8PSK. They have already begun changing some of the French & ethnic channels. Once a channel's format is changed, legacy receivers will be unable to decode the signal for that channel. So BEWARE of buying used receivers in the SDef line such as the DSR-315 or DSR-317.

Iceberg;22917963. said:
nope. Heck you dont even need a Cad number. I call Shaw with my US number...the number they have on file is a Canadian area code but bogus (if I remember right)

You are much braver than I am. When I call from the US I make sure my caller id is blocked. Today SD wanted to call me to dicuss a deal I wanted for the 630. They have my mom's phone # in Quebec so I had my mother forward her phone number to my cell here in the US... I'm probably paranoid but don't want to get cutoff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaw doesnt care. There are lots of folks who are in Canada part of the year and in the US part and probably have both types of cell #'s (US & CAD area codes)

and when you call a toll free number, blocking your number does nothing. Toll Free numbers have ANI which forces your number to show

Automatic number identification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ANI is unrelated to caller ID. A caller's telephone number and line type are captured by ANI service even if caller ID blocking is activated. The destination telephone company switching office can relay the originating telephone number to ANI delivery services subscribers.

But I'm not worried. I've even told Shaw I was "vacationing in the states" and they were cool with it. They have a home away from home plan that they will send a dish to your Canadian address to put at your "second home" (but ya gotta send them a utility bill from the 2nd loc)

I call from the States all the time to SD, I have never had an issue. As long as you have the Home Away From Home option setup really there is no reason to worry about calling them from the US.

Well that should be pretty obvious, use your broker...
confused.gif

lso, why would you be have Home Away From Home set up if you have a broker in the first place?
confused.gif

Sorry....I reallize the question sounded stupid....but my broker (1) is sometimes hard to get a-hold of, and (2) has relinquished my Shaw account number & other pertinent information to me so that I can make programming changes without charge via the web. My question was to see if anyone from the US has tried to call Shaw from a US number and what the results were. I know Iceberg has said that he has had no trouble.....I was looking for input from others who might have tried to call.

Now that is a good question. I really think they don't look at where you are calling from because I have never been asked. They just want to know you name, home phone number and address. They never ask for my account number.

Even when you order PPV the recording asks you if it is your home phone number you are calling from, and if it is not you just enter in the home phone number they have on record.

I just pre-ordered two 630 receivers from the US and there was no questions about my location.

Now that is a good question. I really think they don't look at where you are calling from because I have never been asked. They just want to know you name, home phone number and address. They never ask for my account number.
same here. Name/address/phone

Even when you order PPV the recording asks you if it is your home phone number you are calling from, and if it is not you just enter in the home phone number they have on record.
I know when I tried the auto "rehit" option a couple weeks ago it said "the number...and then said the number I was on (my US cell)... was not recognized. Please enter the phone number on your account"

so even they know I was calling from the US and had no issues. When I got a rep they said "oh back at the summer home now"....yep ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)