Questions about/issues with Dish CS for Install/Repair

RickyEarl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 10, 2007
Hey, I was hoping some of the more experienced folks or the installers could enlighten me on the reasons behind what I think is a change in the way Dish does its CS for installs and repairs. I used to call and set up the appointment, and at some point prior to the install I could call and get the name of the installer and their phone number. That's a big deal because it allows me to call the installer and make sure the bring a ladder tall enough for my 3 story house. If I don't tell them in advance the installer usually has to make a return trip, which inconveniences both of us.

Last week I scheduled a repair to fix my LNB drift problem. Since then I've called Dish three times, and each time they have refused to give me the name or the number of the installer. The CSRs claim they don't have the information in their system. The last time I called, the CSR even told me they couldn 't even tell the installer to bring a tall ladder themselves, and I'd just have to talk to the installer about it when he came.

Any idea why they've decided not to provide this information anymore?

Hey, I was hoping some of the more experienced folks or the installers could enlighten me on the reasons behind what I think is a change in the way Dish does its CS for installs and repairs. I used to call and set up the appointment, and at some point prior to the install I could call and get the name of the installer and their phone number. That's a big deal because it allows me to call the installer and make sure the bring a ladder tall enough for my 3 story house. If I don't tell them in advance the installer usually has to make a return trip, which inconveniences both of us.

Last week I scheduled a repair to fix my LNB drift problem. Since then I've called Dish three times, and each time they have refused to give me the name or the number of the installer. The CSRs claim they don't have the information in their system. The last time I called, the CSR even told me they couldn 't even tell the installer to bring a tall ladder themselves, and I'd just have to talk to the installer about it when he came.

My guess would be that too many installers were getting calls that they should not be getting and they were getting tired of it. If you typically have an installer coming out from the same office you should be able to find the phone number for their office in the white pages under the company name. CSRs should be able to make a note that indicates an extra tall ladder is required for the job though. I can't think of any reason why they couldn't and tons of reasons as to why they should, your house being one of them. Your best bet is to look up the phone number for the install office that typically does your work and give them a call. They may still not be able to give you the installer's cell phone number but I'm sure they'll pass along that a tall ladder is required. If you have a work order from when they were last out to your household I think their phone number is on there as well.

For security reasons as well as privacy. I would be furious if a complete stranger at Dish gave out my phone number to another total stranger, the customer.
Anyway, if your home is three stories and requires a large (40 ft) ladder to get to the dish ,ok....But we avoid putting them there if there is another option.
Our standard sized ladder is 28ft. Somew carry 32's....That's the largest ladder one person can reasonable handle by themself. LArger ladders require two men. That's to keep control of the damned thing.
We try to discourage these installs because if service is required two men have to go to the home. That means two guys are getting killed financially on that job
. With that said. I know in our shop we pre-call our jobs and speak to the customer. At that point we get all the details.

Thanks for the replies.

For security reasons as well as privacy. I would be furious if a complete stranger at Dish gave out my phone number to another total stranger, the customer.

I understand the privacy thing, but I didn't want the installer's personal #, just their company's business number (I've never had a Dish-employed installer at my house - they've always been contractors.) I figured if I called the install company directly to tell them about the ladder I'd get better results. Sorry that wasn't clear in my post.

CSRs should be able to make a note that indicates an extra tall ladder is required for the job though.

That doesn't seem to work. The guy who came out said no one told him he needed a tall ladder, despite the fact that the need for one is supposedly "noted on my account." Other installers have told me the same thing. Thankfully, this guy had one with him anyway.

Anyway, if your home is three stories and requires a large (40 ft) ladder to get to the dish ,ok....But we avoid putting them there if there is another option.
Our standard sized ladder is 28ft. Somew carry 32's....That's the largest ladder one person can reasonable handle by themself. LArger ladders require two men. That's to keep control of the damned thing.
We try to discourage these installs because if service is required two men have to go to the home. That means two guys are getting killed financially on that job.

Interestingly, I had the same discussion with the installer who first put the dishes up. He wanted to put my dishes on the top of the roof, but I thought it would be a problem to put them up so high if they ever needed service, so I wanted them on the side of my house. There are no trees or other obstructions in the way there, and the old Direct dish that was mounted there worked just fine. The installer the told me that because the side of the house is wood, the dishes would move when the wood expanded and contracted with heat and humidity, and I'd lose signal (I still don't understand that.) So the dishes are literally mounted on the highest peak of my roof, and there's no way to get up there without a 3 story ladder.

With that said. I know in our shop we pre-call our jobs and speak to the customer. At that point we get all the details.

I've never had anyone pre-call me. That would be helpful, though.

my first installer pre-called me... the one that was supposed to be here 3 minutes ago hasnt even tried to contact me.

oh well I guess it sounds like the installer will have to make more than one trip anyway.....and dish should be responsible to relay all install messages to the company they hire. So not only is he losing money by having to reschedule, the customer is losing time as well. That does not sound like good customer service either by the installer and the dishnetwork company because when all is said and done it is the customer paying for all of your paychecks! Wow that's good customer service, Huh?

Thanks for the replies.

I understand the privacy thing, but I didn't want the installer's personal #, just their company's business number (I've never had a Dish-employed installer at my house - they've always been contractors.) I figured if I called the install company directly to tell them about the ladder I'd get better results. Sorry that wasn't clear in my post.

That doesn't seem to work. The guy who came out said no one told him he needed a tall ladder, despite the fact that the need for one is supposedly "noted on my account." Other installers have told me the same thing. Thankfully, this guy had one with him anyway.

Interestingly, I had the same discussion with the installer who first put the dishes up. He wanted to put my dishes on the top of the roof, but I thought it would be a problem to put them up so high if they ever needed service, so I wanted them on the side of my house. There are no trees or other obstructions in the way there, and the old Direct dish that was mounted there worked just fine. The installer the told me that because the side of the house is wood, the dishes would move when the wood expanded and contracted with heat and humidity, and I'd lose signal (I still don't understand that.) So the dishes are literally mounted on the highest peak of my roof, and there's no way to get up there without a 3 story ladder.

I've never had anyone pre-call me. That would be helpful, though.
we try not mount to wooden posts for that reason. But wood sided houses are just fine.
Siding does not move that much. That guy was either selling you a bill of goods or he was just full of sh*t.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)