Questions about the DirecTV Protection Plan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tonedeaf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Rockwall, TX
Do not have this plan as of right now. Thinking about adding. I have an HD receiver, Tivo, and 2 standard receivers.

I know the charge would be the $7.99 per month.

Are there any other charges associated? If I need to have a receiver replaced for instance, do I pay for anything? What about having the dish re-aligned, any service call fees?

Thanks all.

Tonedeaf said:
Do not have this plan as of right now. Thinking about adding. I have an HD receiver, Tivo, and 2 standard receivers.

I know the charge would be the $7.99 per month.

Are there any other charges associated? If I need to have a receiver replaced for instance, do I pay for anything? What about having the dish re-aligned, any service call fees?

Thanks all.
If you need a service call, its free, if you need a new receiver, its free. There are no other fees really. I want to say that you'd have to pay to replace access cards since they're comparable to batteries but I don't remember offhand.

Its well worth the cost even if you never use it.

thats exactly right it is well worth the 7.99 and if you talk to them nicely they will give you a new access card free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DIGITAL~DAN

So I did a self install on my phase 3 dish. If it needs to be re peaked and i have the protection plan will have to pay for a service call because i did a slef install?

You should not have to pay if you have the protection plan as dish realignment is included. It shouldn't matter who installed it originally.

How handy are you? At $96/Yr. if you need it in the first year you're ahead if it is two years you will be at about break even If it is three years before you use it you are behind. Put $8/Mo. into a bank account and don't touch it unless your satellite system has problems and you will probably come out ahead.

Well I've been taken care of for sure. My first Hughes E86 went bad and they replaced it for free. They also replaced three different HD Tivo units that had a bad HDMI unit and a fourth HD Tivo that was dead on arrival.

Also to give you more info about this plan. First off it does not cover pre-existing conditions that you told them about before taking the plan. What I mean is lets say your box had a problem tuning in the second tuner on your Tivo and you think its bad and so you order the protection plan and wait thirty days and request a replacement they will not cover this because it was a pre-existing problem. Now what they don't know won't hurt them does apply.

Now this plan also doesn't cover access card replacements or batteries. This plan does include the following below.

1. Covers all hardware including all SD boxes, all HD Boxes, all Tivos and all HD Tivo and future models. It also includes replacement of any remotes that go bad.

2. It covers all the wiring in the house and the Dish and multiswitches as well.

3. It covers service calls and realignments of the dish.

Plus all hardware replacements are shipped via FedEX 2 day air and they tell you how to send it back using the same box with a shipping label to attach to the box and you do have to bring it into a FedEx shipping location. Also shipping is paid by DirecTV both ways so no out of cost to the customer for shipping.

Also it doesn't matter when you buy the protection plan but you have to wait thirty days before they will cover a claim but they won't charge you the 7.99 for that first month. The plan will I think auto renew or you might have to renew manually but I think its auto renew. You can cancel the plan at anytime but I don't know if they will charge if you cancelled right after having something replaced. I could care less because I don't want to bother hiring an outside company to fix a box so I'm getting it for box replacements mainly.

I had 2 hd recievers changed within a year, well worth it for me, also dish knocked out of alignment due to siding issues, Direc* is coming tomorrow to realign dish at no charge and i told them them what actually happened IE dish was knocked during construction

I'm new, but I ordered it also. Were I live we have at least one bad ice storm during the winter, so I wanted to take extra precautions.

About a year ago I started loosing signals on a 20" X 24" plastic D* HDTV dish all though the signal on one of the LNB's was still running around 70 on the sat located at 119 degree's which was the same as when it was installed a couple of years before that. The tech came out and checked the alignment and then determined that it was not only a bad LNB but that this model of dish had become a problem maker. The tech removed the dish assembly and replaced it with the new smaller metal version HDTV dish with the built in multi switch and new LNB's. The new D* HDTV dish brought all the LNB readings above 92 and now it really has to rain very very hard before I have a signal loss. "Heavy snowfall is a different story from building up on the dish", but I can wipe it off easily. The tech also checked connections from the new dish to the STB's checking signal strength and viewing the received program on the TV as he had spent about four hours at our home during this service call. Anyway I didn't have to pay a cent for this service call and repair. I would recommend the $7.99 Monthly DirecTV Protection Plan to anybody that has an HDTV system.-----Jim

Snow? Ice? Rain? What is all of that stuff??????? But I'll be I can cook an egg on my DISH in the summer!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)