Questions about The Hopper?

How does the Hopper airflow/cooling requirements compare with a 722K? Need to know, since the 722K has barely adequate cooling in my TV stand console. Want to know if I need to use a Joey at this location instead of a Hopper.

Related to this, do the hoppers support mixed-arc setups (one of the few reasons to use a DPP44)?
Yes to mixed arc. Also, I previously used a DPP44 to support four dual-tuner DVRs with only four lines into the house. (Yesterday, I swapped out the DPP44 to a DPP33 to get ready for H/J. This does away with needing the power inserter; three lines to the Duo Node will support all six of my HDTVs with the new architecture.)

Last edited:
I have not seen this answered, so I will ask. Can you hook 4 joeys to a single hopper? I have a guest bedroom tv that gets used rarely, but I was curious if I could hook it up without paying for a 2nd hopper.

Where are the wiring/installation diagrams? Can someone post them or direct me to where they are located? Or can someone explain the installation and the variables?

Has there been any information about parental controls on Joeys? I would want to block R-rated movies and shows that I like (south park) from the kid TV's. This has to be a feature, right?

I just can't decide if I am willing to have all my tuners tied up into one device. With my current 622/211 setup, I always know that if both 622 tuners are in use, I can move into my "den" to watch live TV on the 211.

With that said, is there any setting on the Hopper to tell it to always keep a tuner free for live TV? In other words, only allow 2 programs to be recorded at the same time, keeping a minimum of 1 tuner available at all times. I think I would feel much more comfortable if that is an option.

With that said, is there any setting on the Hopper to tell it to always keep a tuner free for live TV? In other words, only allow 2 programs to be recorded at the same time, keeping a minimum of 1 tuner available at all times. I think I would feel much more comfortable if that is an option.

That would be a great option to add so that someone in another room does not fire timers against your live show. I think they should allow each hopper to view only content that they want to be viewed as well, like an access list or folders that only that user can have access to and be able to decide if they want to allow someone else to access their tuner or not.

I also think Directv has the right idea with the HR35 by allowing more receivers to be added onto it making them networked together. I suspect Dish had their reasons as to why they wanted to go a different route.

May be putting a tv in my shed...just a few steps behind the house is where its located...besides electricity what else would I need to hook a joey up out there???...could I take a joey from inside the house and hook it up outside when I need to???

Long time Directv customer expecting to switch to Dish for Hopper/Joey and BBCA HD. If I currently have need for just 1 Hopper and 1 Joey but will want to add a second within 6 months, I assume I would be better off getting 2 at sign up? Or can additional Joeys be added later for free?

Long time Directv customer expecting to switch to Dish for Hopper/Joey and BBCA HD. If I currently have need for just 1 Hopper and 1 Joey but will want to add a second within 6 months, I assume I would be better off getting 2 at sign up? Or can additional Joeys be added later for free?
If 6 months x $7 = $42 is less than they would charge for you to add a second Joey later (assuming they do charge)?