Questions about upgrading to H3

MrDogDad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Upstate SC
I'm looking to replace my 622 with a Hopper 3. I currently have my living room TV connected by HDMI and my bedroom TV by component cables. I use the RF remote in the bedroom to control the 622. Since I live by myself, I only watch one TV at a time, so I won't need a Joey. (OK, the dogs do watch TV but I get to select the channel.)

My questions are:
Which remote comes with the H3 and will it work 30 feet away through an interior wall?

The CSR said that the $95 installation charge would be waived if I got the protection plan. Will I be obligated to continue the plan for my 2 year commitment, or could I cancel it after 6 months?

Will I be able to watch my EHD recordings from my 622?

Thanks,
MrDogDad

The 52.0 remote will come with the H3 and I have heard it will pick up from 30 feet away and depending on the thickness of the wall will determine if it can get a good enough signal to make changes on that TV. Is there any rooms or electrical lamps or computer tower in between the two? To give you a better idea of pricing I will need the phone number and 4-digit PIN on the account in a PM to fully assist you.

remote should be no issue, i use mine 3 good size rooms away, also up a floor and over.
the h3 can be hooked up the same way with hdmi and component, i believe both should be live together. the composite and hdmi are for sure.
the h3 really needs to be network connected, wired or wireless,
the ehd should be able to be seen, there is an issue with spin up. what it does it will go to a black screen, then you have to reselect the same show again and it plays fine. this seems to only happen after the drive goes in sleep mode. not a big deal,

hope this helps, its an amazing upgrade !!!

The CSR said that the $95 installation charge would be waived if I got the protection plan. Will I be obligated to continue the plan for my 2 year commitment, or could I cancel it after 6 months?

Thanks,
MrDogDad
You can drop the plan after 6 mos. Earlier would incur a $30.00 charge.

Reactions: DWS44
Thanks for your answers.
mike_H contacted me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse! I'm getting my H3 installed this afternoon. Networking won't be a problem since I already had my 622 connected by Ethernet. I'll probably only use the EHD to transfer the shows I have recorded on it to the Hopper, then just use it to save programs if I need to replace the Hopper in the future.
Can anyone tell me if the new USB OTA tuners are available yet?

Reactions: KAB
Yep...here's a link: https://dishdepot.com/product/dish-ota-module-for-hopper/

Also remember, since this will be your first Hopper, they usually take a couple of days to settle in when first installed. You might see it do some strange things during those first couple of days, so don't panic if anything acts weird. :D

Thanks again for the info. I'll be ordering the OTA tuner today. My Hopper and new hybrid EA dish were installed on Friday. I apparently got one of the better installers. This guy was older and knew what he was doing, did a nice install and didn't cause any fires either. :rollingeyes
Everything works good, although it's taking me a while to get used to the user interface - really different than the 622. The RF remote works fine through the wall.

Reactions: DWS44
I have a similar set up on one of my HWS. I have the TV by the Dish box connected with component cables. The HDMI is run to a TV in the next room. The problem I am having is that when I tune to a channel that has the copy protection protocol, like Fox Regional Sports, using the TV that is connect with component cables, I receive a message that I am not allowed to watch that channel. I have to have the TV with the HDMI connection turned on before it will allow me to watch the other TV. A real pain in the butt. I don't know if the H3 works that way, but be prepared because it is annoying.

I have a similar set up on one of my HWS. I have the TV by the Dish box connected with component cables. The HDMI is run to a TV in the next room. The problem I am having is that when I tune to a channel that has the copy protection protocol, like Fox Regional Sports, using the TV that is connect with component cables, I receive a message that I am not allowed to watch that channel. I have to have the TV with the HDMI connection turned on before it will allow me to watch the other TV. A real pain in the butt. I don't know if the H3 works that way, but be prepared because it is annoying.
I've had this with my H3 and RF modulator in the past - all I had to do was turn the HDMI tv on and turn it off and it worked fine in the other room until the H3 turned off - not sure if it still happens - I make it a habit to turn it on and off as I said - and I may not have tried to watch a protected show without it

I've had this with my H3 and RF modulator in the past - all I had to do was turn the HDMI tv on and turn it off and it worked fine in the other room until the H3 turned off - not sure if it still happens - I make it a habit to turn it on and off as I said - and I may not have tried to watch a protected show without it

what modulator do you use ??

I had a feeling that copy protection might be an issue, but so far, everything works fine. I don't think I've watched anything with copy protection, and since my bedroom set, which connects to the component cables, only does 1080i, I'll be watching any 1080p programing on the larger HDMI connected set in the living room.
My OTA tuner module will be here on Friday. I do miss not having the OTA subchannels in the program guide, although I can watch them using TV's tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)