Questions B4 purchasing a 921

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Grandpa J

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Camarillo, CA
I have downloaded and read the 921 manaul but I still want to be sure I understand everything befoe puchasing so I am imposing on the goopd people here for answers

1- I understand that the 921 can only output either HD or SD at one time, but can the 921 record HD or SD using one tuner while you watch HD or SD using 1 or the other 2 tuners in the machine.

2- Does the 921 work like my 811 - does it automatically change the output between HD & SD or does it work like the old 6000 were you needed to manually press a button to change between HD & SD

3- Are the HD outputs (component in my case) always active/on like the 811 or are they only active when HD is been used.

4- If the HD component output is always active and the output is set to 1080, if you are using the component output to watch SD does the 921 work like the 811 and automatically change the aspect ratio e.g strench to fill a 16:9 screen while still sending a picture over the non HD outputs.

5- Does the $5 DVR fee apply to all package plans? I have the 120 package plus 2 movie and HD packages.

6- Given all Dish equipment tend to have problem, has the latest software update -
a- Fixed the OTA timer problem(s).
b- Are the reboot & BSOD problems better
c- In general is the reliability of the 921 improved
d- I note that people had problems with OTA channels, has it gotten better

Thanks in advance

1. Records either HD or SD regardless of what you are viewing.
2. DVI/Component OR s-video/composite/RF except in safe mode.
3. The output is up-res or down-res to match what you select: 1080i, 720p. 480p, 480i, no need to change anything. You do have to select HD or SD to activate either HD or SD outputs.
4. No ouput at all from non HD ouputs, you select the stretch.
5. DVR fee applies to all except AEP.
6. The OTA is pretty darn good, it's getting better. There stil is no OTA guide, though, unless you subscribe to the same locals that you get OTA.

I have no problems with OTA, it's a darn nice machine but still not perfect. E*, on the other hand, gave us the shaft on the OTA guide so far.

u sure there is no OTA guide. I get OTA guide on the 811 and i dont have the local subscribed channels anymore. I think you should get a OTA guide for some locals atleeast on 921.

Thanks bbriggs

While I really what the 941 HD recorder because of the way my whole system is set the output switching is a problem (same as I had with 6000) I was hoping I read the manual incorrectly but it seems not to be the case.

May be best to go with a OTA DVR only (LG 3410A or Sony) now and wait for 942 / MPEG 4 to come out.

Thank you again everyone.

You forgot about the $6/mo OTA guide data fee. The latest software requires you to subscribe to locals in order to get even a sub-standard form of guide data.

As far as stability goes, I think it is actually LESS stable than before. I'm finding that I'm rebooting a lot more often than with L189. What happens is that I loose the ability to do things with the remote, such as stretch the picture, or even bring up the DVR menu. When this happens, I have to reboot to fix it.

Don't wait for a 942. With Dish's track record, do you think they will be any better off than the 921 people? I doubt it. I suspect they will be even more screwed than we 921 people are. It isn't going to have MPEG-4, and it will be useless less than a year after it was released.

Right now, I would say, don't buy any Dish equipment, try the HDTivo from DirecTV.

But, hey, I will admit I am biased right now. Dish has got me so upset that I want to divert as many as possible from buying their stuff. They wasted $1000 in capitol, and $600 in subscription fees this past year, and I would like to see them loose at least that much themselves from lost sales. No offense to Scott and Claude that helped me get my 921 a year ago, they are great people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)