Questions for Dish Network

My questions:

1. How soon until more RSN's are added in HD?
2. DirectTV is claiming to be adding tons of new HD Content later this year, and have been reported to have agreements to carry new channels when they go live, What is the "big picture" for Dish and HD?
3. Ala Carte programming for additional channels, Why doesnt dish look into having the ability to add channels from higher packages for $2/mo or some other pricepoint( Example, I want NatGeoHD & Versus but cannot justify $10/month to upgrade to the 250 package, but would pay $4 for the 2 channels), same goes with the upcoming Big10 Network.

When is M-HD available and TMC-HD ? Lifetime Movies HD etc? In-HD...!? Please ask them this. If they want to be the leader, why not pick these up now and show there intent instead of waiting for D* to snap them up with huge agreement prices....

-B

Guys, these people aren't going to be able to answer programming questions. Scott is looking for technical questions that you want answered.

Thats a technical question and I am told I will see an updated DishOnline there at Team Summit.

Can't wait version 1.0 that they showed at CES was terrible.

1- From a technical perspective, what's Dish plan to add new HD channels?
2- Kinda follow up to the above, any new satellites going in the sky anytime "soon" - whatever soon means?

What are the chances that the new features, programming, hardware, etc. announced at this Team Summit will actually be released and available by next year's Team Summit??

Yeah and right now there is not allot of new HD Channels out there to add. Yes Direct is saying their going to add this HD channel so forth. BUT Direct or anyone else cant add a new HD Channel until that Network gets a HD Version of their channel up and running. I don't think you will see any Networks get their HD Version of their channel up until later in the year 1st of next. So for now Dish or anyone else will not know for sure when these new HD Channel will be available until the Network gets them up 1st. So for now everyone must play wait on the Network to make the announcement when they get the HD Channel up.

First off, kudos on the side by side PIP on the 622..... I use this constantly.

Next, any word on NBR for the 510/508/501 series?

When will external storage be activated for the 622?

Is there any way you can make juggling timers any easier on the 622? Since you killed the distant nets I had, I have to manually juggle timers constantly. Worst offender is Monday night when I have Drive and 24 set to record for one tuner and Deal or No Deal and Heroes on another. I play whack a mole trying to get my timers to stop trying and delete the others. I keep setting the padding to 0, but it keeps fighting me and takes numerous attempts to resolve......

Yeah if they got the external drive support up and running that would be a big plus.

Here's a multi-part question for them.

Assuming that MPEG-4 is the transport protocol for the foreseeable future:

1) What is Dish Network's plan to transition the huge base of MPEG-2 receivers to MPEG-4?
2) How long will the transition take?
3) What incentives will be offered to MPEG-2 customers to convert to MPEG-4?
4) What is the target date for Dish Network to convert their satellite broadcast content to MPEG-4 exclusively?
5) Will Dish Network use the resulting satellite bandwidth savings to increase the signal quality of the HD and SD channels?

I believe there were indications in Echostar's (Dish) recently released annual financial report that there would first be a conversion of QPSK only receivers to 8PSK capable receivers. Note that Dish uses MPEG-2 for both QPSK and 8PSK and I believe that with 8PSK, Dish could put 16-18 SD channels per TP versus about 12 SD channels per TP currently using QPSK.

I would have to believe Dish will want to convert all HD to MPEG-4 in the very near future especially with the more efficient MPEG-4 encoders. One thing Dish has begun doing related to both of these transitions is refurbishing old 811s, 921s and 942s (non MPEG-4 HD receivers). Dish disables these receivers ability to provide HD satellite signals but leaves the HD OTA capability and the SD satellite capability. Dish provided new model numbers for these refurbished receivers.

A second from me on the Native Resolution Pass Through issue on the 622. Been waiting on that for a long long time.

When will the OTA sub-channel data return to the EPG on the 211? It was there a few months ago and then it was taken away.

When will the OTA sub-channel data return to the EPG on the 211? It was there a few months ago and then it was taken away.

...and an explanation of the "technical" side of the conspiracy as to them denying that it was ever there in the first place might be interesting too. ;)

You might have to ask them this one privately and not publish their names when they answer.....

After all of the hype regarding L4.01 for the 622 receivers, how do they feel about it now regarding the number of serious issues people are seeing with it ?? I mean, side-by-side PIP sounds cool but I run in dual-mode.... HD channel mapdown ?? Sorry, I know where the HD channels are already and don't need them matched up with the SD channels.

Are whatever announcements being made this year intended to replace those from last year (that have yet to materialize) or will they be added to them and if added, will it be to the front or the back of the list?

For example, the 622 receiver. Will they fix what they've broke on it and add the external storage they promised first or release a newer receiver intended to replace it first? That sort of thing?

Since MPEG4 is supposedly improving, will the gained space be:
1. Used to add the remaining HD LiLs that were on last year's list but never added?
2. Used to restore the HD PQ to the channels they have degraded?
or
3. Used to add more HD channels at the current reduced quality?

1. External Storage
2. Screen Positioning
3. Statement of intent as regards to CNN and Fox News when they go HD
4. Schedule of LIL HD's