Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Next week once again SatelliteGuys will be bringing you coverage from Dish Networks Team Summit event in Dallas!

We are looking to take some of your questions to Dallas to ask to the tech guys such as Mark Jackson, Dan Minnick and Dave Kummer. So if you got a technical question please post them here and we will do our best to get them answered.

There is no guarentee however that they will answer any or all of them. But we will try our best!

Don't forget that SatelliteGuys will be holding a get together from Team Summit, and if you are comming YOU WILL get to ask questions to some of these guys! If you are not signed up to go yet, please check the thread in the SatelliteGuys operations forum. Remember space is limited and is first come first served, so please sign up now if you are planning on attending!

So think of your best technical questions and post them here and we will do our best to get you answers! And remember to stay tuned to SatelliteGuys starting next Thursday for our coverage from Team Summit!

Here's a multi-part question for them.

Assuming that MPEG-4 is the transport protocol for the foreseeable future:

1) What is Dish Network's plan to transition the huge base of MPEG-2 receivers to MPEG-4?
2) How long will the transition take?
3) What incentives will be offered to MPEG-2 customers to convert to MPEG-4?
4) What is the target date for Dish Network to convert their satellite broadcast content to MPEG-4 exclusively?
5) Will Dish Network use the resulting satellite bandwidth savings to increase the signal quality of the HD and SD channels?

I'd like to know when we can realistically expect to see external hdd support for the 622 (or are they going to cancel it like they did with the 942)?

I would also like to know when we are going to see the ethernet port activated (including the DishONLINE feature that was on their website a few months ago).

Since I believe you mentioned three new receivers are to be unveiled...when they inevitably say they are "coming soon", use that as an opportunity to ask if that means in the foreseeable week, month, year, or decade. We're never quite sure what "coming soon" means to E*.

Also...what do they expect the upgrade paths to be to these new receivers, whatever they are.

OH...and ask what the hold up is on SNY-HD, too. :)

Here's a multi-part question for them.

Assuming that MPEG-4 is the transport protocol for the foreseeable future:

1) What is Dish Network's plan to transition the huge base of MPEG-2 receivers to MPEG-4?
2) How long will the transition take?
3) What incentives will be offered to MPEG-2 customers to convert to MPEG-4?
4) What is the target date for Dish Network to convert their satellite broadcast content to MPEG-4 exclusively?
5) Will Dish Network use the resulting satellite bandwidth savings to increase the signal quality of the HD and SD channels?

Nice job...Ditto ion these!!!

As far as when programming will become available (the above DMAs), I doubt that those guys will be able to answer that as they are more in the technical areas right?

This is correct, the technial guys have no clue on the programming. And the programming guys are bound by contracts and NDA's so they wont answer them eaither.

So please technical questions only. :D

Something I've been curious about and would like to know is if they ever plan to make Web Access available to make DVR timers while away from home.

When can we expect trick play to be fixed on the 622? FF and rewind are very jumpy and much slower than the advertised speeds of 4x,15x, 60x and 300x (does everyone see this problem?).

I was told by tech support that the 622 "jitters" is a software issue that they have known of for a year now.

A year seems like a long time not to correct a software problem. I would like to know exactly what causes the 622 jitters and when do they intend to correct it.

I think it's a transmission problem, lack of bandwidth maybe??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts