Questions for the Dish Tech Team?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The EPG data is imbedded in the OTA data by the station and is thusly notoriously non standard... so it is almost unusable for recording purposes, this is why ALL carriers use an outside source for guide data rather than the EPG broadcast by the station.
Plus, AFAIK, the imbedded EPG data is only for the current program, so it is useless for future guide/timer purposes.

Actually, I think the FCC "requires" (doesn't mean they enforce this !!) that stations give (3) days worth of guide data. Timers on the DVR would work just fine still. Only difference is it wouldn't tag them as far in advance as they do today (with a 9-day guide).

We are referring to the PSIP data. Often, it just says "digital programming" or some such. Little to no info is there. But it is better than nothing. I don't think the gov't is enforcing requirements at all.

As most of us know, even though the correct information is available, Dish still shows incorrect data, or no data at all, for many OTA channels.

More and more stations are adding Digital Sub Channels, seems dish can't keep up adding guide data for them. I have 27 local channels through the Over the Air tuner, Dish only carries 7 on the dish. Many of the channels that I get through the OTA turner do not have guide data. Makes it real hard to record anything. I know the guide data is available as I have talked to one of the Station Engineers, Dish need needs to map it to the DMA and show it on the guide.

More and more stations are adding Digital Sub Channels, seems dish can't keep up adding guide data for them. I have 27 local channels through the Over the Air tuner, Dish only carries 7 on the dish. Many of the channels that I get through the OTA turner do not have guide data. Makes it real hard to record anything. I know the guide data is available as I have talked to one of the Station Engineers, Dish need needs to map it to the DMA and show it on the guide.
They can. They just choose not to. Most of the data is there. Just go to Zap2It, Tribune's online guide, and see how many of your channel's program data is listed there, but not on the Dish EPG.

None of the five off air local networks that Dish includes in our package are included in this listing for our zip code at Zap2It.
Dish you choose "Broadcast" as your provider in the Zap2It guide? That will tell you whether data is available for those channels, and conversely whether Dish is just being lazy and/or cheap and not providing the data that is available to them.

They can. They just choose not to. Most of the data is there. Just go to Zap2It, Tribune's online guide, and see how many of your channel's program data is listed there, but not on the Dish EPG.
So... is Dish just not including some of them? I recently went the OTA module trail on the 722k and the PBS sub stations all have programming data, as does a couple other channels. But a pair of the retro-programming channels have no data... and unfortunately, it is showing the stuff I'd want to watch, Newhart, Maude, etc...

I just assumed that the stations weren't actually broadcasting the programming data on their respective sub channels. A funny thing is that Dish has the 43.2 and 43.3 channel names in my market swapped, though the programming description is correct.

But a pair of the retro-programming channels have no data... and unfortunately, it is showing the stuff I'd want to watch, Newhart, Maude, etc...
If by that you mean smaller, non-network-affiliated stations, if Dish doesn't carry them (the 'main' channel, they will NOT provide guide data. In the Dayton OH market, Dish carries ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, and WB/CW. They do NOT carry the local TBN (religious channel) affiliate. I get guide data for the (6) previously mentioned (two of them have mistakes but something is listed). For the TBN station, I get "Digital Service" for the -1 through -5 channels.

What network are these "retro-programming channels (that) have no data" ?

I'm talking about the Retro channels that are sub channels of the local CBS (Me-TV), Fox (Antenna TV), not the tiny stations like 29 or 35.

Show an example of what? Sub-channel program info on the Dish EPG? I don't have to. Everybody knows it exists. (except for you.)

As for examples of incorrect OTA main and sub-channel data, just read the last few pages of the EPG thread in the Technical forum.

Show an example of guide data for digital sub-channels of channels Dish doesn't carry. I'm very well aware of that other thread too as I've been active in it since it's beginning....

Show an example of guide data for digital sub-channels of channels Dish doesn't carry. I'm very well aware of that other thread too as I've been active in it since it's beginning....
Using the OTA module for the 722k, I have the Program guide data for every 25-2 to 25-4 PBS subchannel and for 8-2 Antenna-TV (The FOX sub), and the two subs for WUAB, 43-2 and 43-3, which are This TV and Bounce. None of those subchannels are available via Sat with Dish, though the PBS 25, Fox 8, and local WUAB 43 main channels are.

I do not have program guide data for 5-2 or 19-2 (which is the best one). I don't have it for 3-2 either, but that is a weather radar channel.

I'm starting to wonder whether you are asking if there is program guide data for a subchannel of a channel that Dish doesn't carry... as in does it have guide data for 8-2 if Dish doesn't carry 8-1.

I'm starting to wonder whether you are asking if there is program guide data for a subchannel of a channel that Dish doesn't carry... as in does it have guide data for 8-2 if Dish doesn't carry 8-1.
I've said it twice, in fact. If Dish doesn't carry the main channel (via satellite), you won't get guide data for the -1, -2, and so on when picked up by antenna.

I would like to second neutron's question. We have had our CW network in HD for well over a year now, OTA, and still no guide info. Dish has the same channel in sd with full guide data. This is channel 015-00 KCZ in the Springfield Mo. market. Same channel OTA in HD is 033-02 CW1, digital service in guide info. If you can't give us this channel in HD, please give guide info OTA. Have to set manual timers to record anything in HD on CW network.

Maybe it's been discussed but if so I've missed it. In the central time zone prime time is 7:00-10:00. Does Hopper adjust PTA automatically for this or is it a menu choice?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts