Questions from another one looking to abandon the E* ship

Status
Please reply by conversation.

YodaJM

Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I may be looking at jumping ship prematurely but due to the whole Fox debacle, coupled with the lack of full-time RSN's in HD, I'm getting quite fed up with Dish.

The main question I have is related to the Dish duo receivers compared to the D* MRV setup.

My dad and I like to watch some shows together. We live in an apartment and have 2 tv's, 1 is an HDTV and the other is SD. So we often watch shows together in single mode with the duo receiver but we watch TV separately a lot as well in dual mode.

So the question is, is there any kind of setup for D* to watch a show in sync on 2 TV's at the same time, like manner of a duo receiver operating in single mode? I know the MRV setup already provides for the basic dual mode viewing.

My second question is that I have a Logitech Harmony 880 remote and I was wondering if there are any problems setting it up to work with the HR2* receivers?

Thanks in advance!

Unless you always want to watch the same program on each TV, you have to have a second receiver installed. If you don't care that each TV has the same programming you could just run the HDMI to the HD set and then the composite cables to the other TV. The only problem with this is that you can never watch a different program. Your best bet would be to get the second HD receiver for the SD TV. This way you can take advantage of the whole home DVR and you can watch the same or different programs on both of the TV's.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if you could run the content to an HDTV and SDTV like that. If I do sign up I'll most likely be getting the HDDVR and HD receiver.

Has anyone used a Logitech Harmony Remote with the HR2* boxes? I specifically have the Logitech Harmon 880, but I imagine it would be the same for any of the IR based logitech remotes.

Thanks!

Be ready to pay for the eztra stuff like the mount and flat cables. Direct will not give them to you free.

I see no reason why the harmony remote would not work. All Direct's newer receiver use the same remote.

I've had several Harmony remotes. Basically, if it can be controlled by IR then a Harmony can control it.

I have since graduated to a URC MX-980 and ..... all I can say is..... wow.....

I use a Harmony One with a HR24 with zero issues (I really prefer this over the official remote).

Be ready to pay for the eztra stuff like the mount and flat cables. Direct will not give them to you free.

I see no reason why the harmony remote would not work. All Direct's newer receiver use the same remote.

I didn't notice the OP mentioning eztra stuff like the mount and flat cables.

As far as I know the mount is free. Who needs flat cables ?

It's directv, not direct, not so hard to add a "v" at the end.
You're not really saving any time typing d-i-r-e-c-t instead of d-i-r-e-c-t-v.

i'm also thinking of leaving dish due to the fox dispute. i have a couple questions - hope the OP doesn't mind me jumping in this thread instead of starting a new one.

what direction do the direct dishes point? i'm asking for line of sight purposes. i live in central texas.

is the hdmi output and component output live at the same time?

do you have to have a land line connected to the dvr/receiver?

thanks

101W is where the core programming is. HD is on 99W and 103W.

All outputs are live.

I don't believe it's a requirement to have a land line connected to the receiver. Somebody else might know for sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)