Questions on DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IowaGuy79

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
I am currently a E* subscriber, but I am thinking about switching to D* (love the idea of MRV). However I haven't had D* in 5 years, so I have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

Do D* boxes require a phone line for anything? I have seen that they might require them from DVR updates or PPV, but can't this go through DECA now?

Also since I live in a Townhouse we can only use one dish per provider. Given that someone already has D*, would 2 SWM-8s work for both units to have access to MRV? I have seen some mention that MRV doesn't work for 2 truncated SWM-8s. I think this means that they don't work to have 16 turners all on the same MRV, but you can have 2 sets of 8 turners each on their own MRV (just want to make sure). I know a SWM-16 is an option, but I don't want to have access to my neighbors DVR, and I don't want them to have access to mine.

Thank you for your assistance!

I am currently a E* subscriber, but I am thinking about switching to D* (love the idea of MRV). However I haven't had D* in 5 years, so I have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

Do D* boxes require a phone line for anything? NO, your can order PPV via online or network (if connected). I have seen that they might require them from DVR updates or PPV, but can't this go through DECA now?

Also since I live in a Townhouse we can only use one dish per provider. Not sure this is 110% legal, but need more info. Given that someone already has D*, would 2 SWM-8s work for both units to have access to MRV? I have seen some mention that MRV doesn't work for 2 truncated SWM-8s. I think this means that they don't work to have 16 turners all on the same MRV, but you can have 2 sets of 8 turners each on their own MRV (just want to make sure). I know a SWM-16 is an option, but I don't want to have access to my neighbors DVR, and I don't want them to have access to mine. Is this an Multi-dwelling dish or another user's personal dish?

Thank you for your assistance!

See above

Well the normal SWM LNB can handel 8 tuners. Beyond that you have to go with a normal KA/KU with 4 lines into a SWM-16.

To seperate the DVR's between the 2 house holds you just need to put a BSF (band Stop Filter) before one of the SWM spiters.

Thank you both!

I had another question regarding setting up DirecTV.

The KA/KU dish has 4 lines running out of it to a WB68, with 4 lines going into a neighbors townhouse (this is a MDU). Since there are only 4 lines going into each of the townhouses and I will have 5 tuners (2-HR24s and 1-H24), would I be able to cascade another WB68 in my house? This way the neighbors 4 lines are running directly from the receivers to the 1st WB68 powering it, and mine would power the 2nd WB68.

I know it would work with 4 - Wideband splitters, but I also wonder if this would work too.

Also would a SWM-8 work in place of the 2nd WB68?

Thank you!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)