Questions on options for locals if DTV doesn't provide them in my area

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shady12

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
TX
I would have had DirecTV years ago if I wasn't in the 1% of the country(SAN ANGELO, TX) that didn't have local channels on DTV. Was in Sam's Club the other day, and as usual I stopped a second to stare at TVs. Lady starts talking to me about DirecTV, I say well I'd have it already if we could get locals. She basically said now that they have this doohickie(which I now know is the AM21) allowing you to get the channels OTA and integrate it into the DVR/channel guide. "Neato!" I says. She also says I can choose any out of market locals I want for $5/month. I mention how it was my understanding that wasn't possible. She says oh it used to be that way but now you can do this. I'm shocked, but quite happy about this information. I end up signing up. Of course I go home and do research and it seems like that last part definitely isn't true..am I right? And upon thinking on it I figured I'd probably need my own antenna to hook up to an AM21, correct? Looking at antennaweb it looks like I'll need a "red" rooftop antenna(the only one that needs red is the tower that is closest to where I live, like a mile away, is that strange?).

Was she right about this stuff? Or am I based on what I could find online? Installer is scheduled to come Saturday morning. Hope I don't have to cancel. I don't think I want to spend the money and mount an antenna on the roof. Eh, maybe. I really want DirecTV. I hate relying on sales people for correct information. They usually don't know what they're talking about. I'll probably go to Best Buy later to see what they say about what people who sign up there locally do about local channels.

I would have had DirecTV years ago if I wasn't in the 1% of the country(SAN ANGELO, TX) that didn't have local channels on DTV. Was in Sam's Club the other day, and as usual I stopped a second to stare at TVs. Lady starts talking to me about DirecTV, I say well I'd have it already if we could get locals. She basically said now that they have this doohickie(which I now know is the AM21) allowing you to get the channels OTA and integrate it into the DVR/channel guide. "Neato!" I says. She also says I can choose any out of market locals I want for $5/month. I mention how it was my understanding that wasn't possible. She says oh it used to be that way but now you can do this. I'm shocked, but quite happy about this information. I end up signing up. Of course I go home and do research and it seems like that last part definitely isn't true..am I right? And upon thinking on it I figured I'd probably need my own antenna to hook up to an AM21, correct? Looking at antennaweb it looks like I'll need a "red" rooftop antenna(the only one that needs red is the tower that is closest to where I live, like a mile away, is that strange?).

Was she right about this stuff? Or am I based on what I could find online? Installer is scheduled to come Saturday morning. Hope I don't have to cancel. I don't think I want to spend the money and mount an antenna on the roof. Eh, maybe. I really want DirecTV. I hate relying on sales people for correct information. They usually don't know what they're talking about. I'll probably go to Best Buy later to see what they say about what people who sign up there locally do about local channels.
Welcome to the site, look around, stay awhile !

You are correct and the person you spoke with was unfortunately NOT.

Thanks, I figured. Weird that she'd come up with a specific $5 price for out of market locals(maybe that's what it costs if you aren't able to get channels OTA?) Hopefully Best Buy will be able to recommend an antenna that works for people who have DTV locally. Also, I should probably call and make sure the installer is actually bringing an AM21. I think the lady said they always have them with them but I'm doubting that. Hopefully it won't push back the install date.

Been a long time since we had dtv.I know that when we had it prior to them getting our local dma we subscribed to east and west coast networks.So basically they don't have the market that you live in and won't provide distants?That seems odd that they wouldn't offer any locals at all.

If Directv doesn't have your locals, you can get the big four from NYC. That's probably what she meant.

Maybe I can't get a grade b signal then and she knew that? Only problem with getting them from NYC is sports coverage maps..wouldn't get my Texas teams when they play on networks unless it's a national broadcast!

Maybe I can't get a grade b signal then and she knew that? Only problem with getting them from NYC is sports coverage maps..wouldn't get my Texas teams when they play on networks unless it's a national broadcast!

You are correct, you won't get your local RSN that you want, if you opt for the National NY market.

May not get the NY anyways, wouldn't they give him the LA market seeing he's in Texas ?

If you can get distants you can actually get both E & W. I know in some markets Directv can give you the HD stations from NY until locals are launched

Technically the rule is you cant sub to distants if they are in an earlier time zone. But since Eastern and Central is in essence the same (8E 7C) the OP could. You can try this website to see if you can get distants
Enter Address

If you can get distants you can actually get both E & W. I know in some markets Directv can give you the HD stations from NY until locals are launched

Technically the rule is you cant sub to distants if they are in an earlier time zone. But since Eastern and Central is in essence the same (8E 7C) the OP could. You can try this website to see if you can get distants
Enter Address

I submitted that form, OTA ABC is not available to me. I wondered about that before, because we don't have an ABC affiliate(we get ABC from another market) but AntennaWeb said I could get it and showed they had a tower here. DNS has yes for everything.

yeah they claim there is a low powered ABC affiliate there
KTXS also has a low powered repeater, KTXE-LP channel 38 in San Angelo, Texas (called "KTXE 12", reflecting its cable slot on Suddenlink channel 12 in San Angelo).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts