Questions on Upgrading EHD

fredberry

Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
I have a 622 with an attached EHD (IDE) that has been working great since Dish first supported this feature. I'm using a no-name drive controller box so have been able to avoid all the issues w/Seagate and plan on doing the same with the new drive (which will be SATA). I will be upgrading the EHD to 1TB. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to copy my content from the old drive to the new one w/o having to copy to/from the DVR? If so, can this be done on a PC with a standalone program like Copy Commander (sector by sector raw copier) w/o losing space on the new drive? Coping between SATA & IDE is not a problem with the hardware I have.

2. If not, can I copy to the DVR, disconnect the original drive and then copy from the DVR to the new drive repeatedly until all the content has been moved? If so, how do I do that since Dish software enables a specific EHD?

3. Assuming I am able to copy the drive using a PC-based utility (standalone or unix-based), will Dish need to do anything to enable support on the new EHD?

I've been searching the threads for a concise answer to the above questions but haven't found it yet so I decided to post this.

Thanks in advance.

Fred Berry

1. Yes you can copy thefiles using a linux PC. Copy the disharc folder(s) they contain all the programming data. Prepare your new drive just as normal (see question #3)then disconnect it and copy the files from old to new using linux of course, not Windows.

2. This way works also, but it is very much slower than #1.

3. The receiver will detect the new drive as compatible and format it, then you do the copy thing.

Thanks, Jim5506. Two more questions:

1. Are there are any hidden or otherwise inaccessible files that the standard Linux copy function would not copy?

2. Also, which version of Linux will offer me the best chance that the 'included drivers' will support USB-attached EHDs? If not, will I have to attach the drives as internal?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)