Status
Please reply by conversation.

myowneq

Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Louisiana
Hi Everyone,

Hi from Louisiana. :) I'm Tim.

So I've been lurking here for a couple days and am thoroughly confused. Here's my story.

I was at Best Buy when a DTV rep told me about the HMC (which I've since learned is called H34). My subsequent call to DTV revealed the price tag and the near heart attack. I was not aware of the retention center concept, so I accepted what the rep told me. $400 for the HMC. I currently have two DVRs. The older one is gray and SD. The newer one is still gray, but is HD.

I really want the ability to view programs from either TV on either DVR. I understand I need at least one HD DVR and one HD receiver. However, without spending the big bucks to get H34, I'll have to settle for the two HD DVRs. DTV says I have an update available and could get $100 off a HD receiver.

So, here's my thinking. I need to find out when my contract is up. I think it's very very soon. I'm gonna call and talk to the rentention dept after that. I'd be willing to pay up to half price for the H34. If not that, then I'd take a free HD DVR.

So my questions. If the H34 falls through, I will get the HD DVRs. But I'd like to keep my old SD DVR till the wife watches all her shows. So I need two lines for my HD DVR, two for my old SD DVR, and I don't know what the black HD DVR's require.

What equipment would I need to make this happen? Do I need the DECAs? They changed my dish when I upgraded to HD, but will I need to change it again?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Tim

Quick update: I've just found online that my HD DVR is a HR20-700 and my SD DVR is a R15-500. If that helps any.

jdspencer said:
What dish/LNB do you have?
Also, the exact models of what you have now would help?

BTW, it's the HR34.

He listed is models. He currently has a LNB3 or 5. HR20 and an R15. R15 won't work on SWM unless he has a swm8 or 16

He listed is models. He currently has a LNB3 or 5. HR20 and an R15. R15 won't work on SWM unless he has a swm8 or 16

No, he mentioned he had a SD DVR and a HD DVR, true they are probably the recvrs you mentioned because of knowing the colors, but he did NOT list the model numbers.

myowneq said:
Hi Everyone,

Hi from Louisiana. :) I'm Tim.

So I've been lurking here for a couple days and am thoroughly confused. Here's my story.

I was at Best Buy when a DTV rep told me about the HMC (which I've since learned is called H34). My subsequent call to DTV revealed the price tag and the near heart attack. I was not aware of the retention center concept, so I accepted what the rep told me. $400 for the HMC. I currently have two DVRs. The older one is gray and SD. The newer one is still gray, but is HD.

I really want the ability to view programs from either TV on either DVR. I understand I need at least one HD DVR and one HD receiver. However, without spending the big bucks to get H34, I'll have to settle for the two HD DVRs. DTV says I have an update available and could get $100 off a HD receiver.

So, here's my thinking. I need to find out when my contract is up. I think it's very very soon. I'm gonna call and talk to the rentention dept after that. I'd be willing to pay up to half price for the H34. If not that, then I'd take a free HD DVR.

So my questions. If the H34 falls through, I will get the HD DVRs. But I'd like to keep my old SD DVR till the wife watches all her shows. So I need two lines for my HD DVR, two for my old SD DVR, and I don't know what the black HD DVR's require.

What equipment would I need to make this happen? Do I need the DECAs? They changed my dish when I upgraded to HD, but will I need to change it again?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Tim

Quick update: I've just found online that my HD DVR is a HR20-700 and my SD DVR is a R15-500. If that helps any.

Yeah, he mentioned his receivers :D I win! Lol

Huh, I know I posted yesterday, guess I missed a step there somewhere.

But anyways, sorry about the delay in response. The flooding in central Louisiana has affected me. Wife just left the house for the first time four days. We had four foot of water all round my property. House is fine, but camper, storage shed, pool equipment, all ruined. :( But thankfully, the house is fine. So I'm still very interested in resolving my questions.

As for the dish, I'm really not sure. I used to have the 3 LNB / 4 outputs before I upgraded the HD DVR. The tech installed a new dish when he did that. I know I don't have the SWM 8 or 16 though.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Tim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts