Questions regarding pointing the dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

partyharty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I am in the process of setting up my dish. Pole is plumb (from all sides), I am pointed in the right direction (224) and according to the elevation meter on the side of the dish I am at the right elevation. It even seems like I have free LOS (tree's are a ways away).

I pulled my figures from Sadoun's website (although I have also pulled them from satfinder (which has different but similar figures).

224.8 Az
38.3 Elevation
35.1 Skew
72847 area code
Trying to hit G10R

So the problem is, where is the signal :D (and you were thinking I was going to ask a hard question :D

I am trying to use a twinhan card here to set the dish (as the satworks has still not been mailed). So I am getting a high signal strength (low 50's to high 60's depending on how I have turned the dish). No signal quality. Now I have seen from this board that it is somewhat difficult to get everything working right with a Twinhan (but I am getting too impatient for my own good) :D

Also I am using a DirectPC dish to try and pull in the signal. So how do I set skew on this thing? It appears that I will have to get a special hex wrench (as the lnb is attached with funky bolts) to loosen the LNB and set the skew (counter clockwise) (is this right/wrong).

Unfortunatly I do not have a signal meter but I did drag one of my computers outside to try to figure this out.

I have setup Dish before (on several occasions) and its usually not a difficult thing. however at this moment, I am stumped.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have had allot of trouble with this one as well it's tricky I guess...If you look above at echostar9/g10r trouble posting there are allot of good ides on this bird.

I am guessing that I am trying the impossible at the moment (probs with g10 coming in clear -w- a twinhan card (which is known for being difficult to setup via the software meter). I will probably have to either buy a signal meter or I am going to have to wait for the satworks to arrive.

PSB said:
The BEST signal meter out there is your receiver and a TV!

This is the truth. However my "receiver and tv" is currently a pc and a twinhan card (which leaves a bit to be desired on the signal meters).

It is weird though. I was able to get it up to around 70 on the signal meter (with no quality). I know that I am hitting a satellite (just not sure which one). We have a dish on the house which is pointing to 119 (I just dont have a ladder......yet)

I am going to go back and check the settings because I think there is something a bit off. I was able to pretty much distinguish when I was hitting a satellite (the signal strength would go up around 15-20 points). When i got off of the satellite it would drop. I spent a good part of this afternoon (well actually about 2 hours, it was a nice day :D ) just moving the dish a centimeter at a time.

I cant wait to get my receiver because I think that I will have it pretty quickly (with the better built in meter).

Chris

Its ALL about QUALITY, you will get signal strength even in doors! best not to even look at signal strength!

Cards are HOPELESS for using to point the dish! You will get on a lot better when the Satworks arrives I still have my 3618 here and use it EVERYDAY!

You will LOVE blind scan, get as close as you can to a satellite....... Blind scan then tweak the dish on any signals you find!

PSB said:
Its ALL about QUALITY, you will get signal strength even in doors! best not to even look at signal strength!

Cards are HOPELESS for using to point the dish! You will get on a lot better when the Satworks arrives I still have my 3618 here and use it EVERYDAY!

You will LOVE blind scan, get as close as you can to a satellite....... Blind scan then tweak the dish on any signals you find!

I know I know. I heard all the stories (dont try to set it up with the twinhan) but I learn the hard way.

Oh well I have everything shut down for the night and the satworks is supposed to be here by Apr 1st (hopefully its not a april fools joke :D )

The plan always was to setup the satworks and then run the twinhan off of it. But I had some free time and I got impatient :>

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts