Quick Facts for 622 and 222

David Dietzel said:
As an existing 942 leaser, I think the 622 is terrific and can't wait to upgrade for $99 after rebate -- it's just a bummer that I have to wait until April 1st before I can call to schedule the swap.
I noticed the 320 GB hard drive is bigger than the 250 GB one in the 942 -- which is great -- but I'd really like to attach an external USB drive to the 622 to double my recording capacity, which is quickly becoming important as the number of HD channels increases. Anyone hear if this "feature" is enabled in the 622?

It will be available:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=51324

Three questions.

Most of my HD viewing is OTA. The 622 has only one OTA tuner so I wouldn't be able to record 2 OTA show at one time. Do I have this correct?

Second question...I live in the San Antonio DMA, 85 miles from San Antonio and 60 miles from Austin. I get all the Austin digital stations OTA and a few from San Antonio(San Antonio CBS operating at very low power, don't get it at all). According to www.antennaweb.org, I'm not supposed to get any digital channels where I live. To qualify for CBS-HD through, I would need to qualify for option 2 as follows: "QUALIFICATION METHOD #2
You must live in an area that does not receive the broadcasts of local stations in any market area (a so called "White Area")

If you subscribe to any one of our distant or local network packages, the CBS-HD feed will be added at no extra charge. Otherwise, each CBS-HD feed will be available for $1.50."

Who determines if I'm in a 'White Area'? and what are my chances of getting CBS-HD through Dish?

Does anyone know the scheduled rollout of HD LIL, particularly San Antonio?

I guess that was 4 questions.

Last edited:
Considering that E* is launching HD LiLs I don't think we will ever see a receiver with 2 OTA tuners as it would be useless in a way and would add to the price tag. You are already paying for locals for the EPG so you can record a local channel via a Sat tuner and another through the OTA tuner.

Is the 622 the same chassis as the 921 or 942? I will want to order a Middle Atlantic custom rack shelf and want to make sure I order the right part ;)

Cheers,

Last edited:
drock85 said:
For the 622 do you have to get the locals to see the guide information for the OTA channels?

It seems that with each new HD receiver from Dish, the OTA gets a little less conveinent. I never had a 6000 but I know the 942 was not as good at OTA as the 811, which was not as good as a non-Dish OTA digital receiver. Maybe the Dish HD LiLs will solve these problems. Hmmmm.

One thing I just noticed on the 622 the TV2 output you only get composite *not* svideo. I rewired awhile back feeding svideo to all the remote TV's (with a svideo distrib booster) and the picture was very noticably better than the old composite.

Since it says on TV1 that "HD and SD output is simultaneous" I assume THAT svideo will be live SD while the component and HDMI HD is also live. So I can use TV1 for all TV's and ignore the TV2 output. But wonder why they left svideo off TV2? And before anyone points out the modulated RF output--I see it but that would be a drastic pq drop for SD channels.

Jud in Dallas TX
With a 6000 feeding one HDTV and three SD's.

All the Dish dual output boxes are missing the S-video for TV2. I have no idea why they made that decision.

waltinvt said:
It seems that with each new HD receiver from Dish, the OTA gets a little less conveinent. I never had a 6000 but I know the 942 was not as good at OTA as the 811, which was not as good as a non-Dish OTA digital receiver. Maybe the Dish HD LiLs will solve these problems. Hmmmm.

My 942 is better that either of my two 811's on OTA.

Beckhamfam said:
After looking on the back of the VIP 622 my question is: my TV 2 is going to be 75 feet away from where the receiver will be, how will it be hooked up? I can not tell what the connection is between the Satellite inputs and TV

There is a ch 21-69 modulator for coax conn to tv 2. The coax conn colored yellow......same as 625/ 322/522 Dual tuner receivcers......HD goes to TV1 only.....

According to the specs the modulator sends both TV1 and TV2 signals out the same port, presumably on different channels.

If you don't already have a coax cable run to the 2nd TV, Cat-5 (Ethernet) cable might be easier, you can just attach RCA connections to three of the four pairs and use the video/audio outputs.

Pepper said:
All the Dish dual output boxes are missing the S-video for TV2. I have no idea why they made that decision.

Most folks will not have TV2 in close proximity to the receiver. Instead, Dish expects the signal to reach TV2 by the home's coax distribution wiring--not via S-Video.

rdinkel said:
Most folks will not have TV2 in close proximity to the receiver. Instead, Dish expects the signal to reach TV2 by the home's coax distribution wiring--not via S-Video.
Yes, but why then did they include RCA video and audio jacks?

RCA video can be run over much longer distances for less expense than S-Video. Further, with today's televisions and today's tuners, the digital filters used to display RCA composite video make it virtually indistinguishable from S-Video. The cost of S-Video for the few who can use it correctly on TV-2 was likely not worth it.

501 questions

Trying To Come Back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)