Quick (hopefully) OTA Questions

dougmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I know I read about these topics as I've been prepping for my install for quite some time. Now that I'm up and running, I went back and couldn't find the info so being the kind of guy that will (occasionally) ask for directions when lost, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

Got Voom installed this morning. Good install which I've commented on over in the Installs Forum. I got a pretty good scan for my OTAs (I've been getting DT OTA prior to this with a Samsung SIR-T151) - most of the stations I have been getting on the Samsung showed up on the Voom scan. However a couple did not.

Q1: I tried going to the "Aim Antenna" screen in the Install Wizard and entered the RF channel number of the missing station in the yellow box (not in my DMA if it matters). I got a strong 90+ signal, and pressed OK, thinking that the channel would show up in my locals, even if it didn't have any guide info - but it didn't. It appears that if the channel is not in your Locals, you can't tune to it (it seems to go to the closest station that it knows). Am I missing something as far as adding channels?

Q2: The reason I tried to enter the channel in this manner was that I read in a previous post that under 7.33, the OTA channel scan is now destructive (if a channel that was previously found on a scan can't be found in a subsequent scan, it is eliminated from your locals). As such, I've not done another scan to this point since my Sammy works this way and I hate it - but at least I can manually add channels on that box by going to the RF channel and then letting it map. Can anyone confirm this is true or not for Voom under 7.33?

Q3: I think I know the answer, but if I get a local that is not in my DMA (hence no guide data), we need to wait for the "Super DMA" code in order to correct this? Sean - I thought I had read that if we got out-of-local-DMA channels we could send you some info and you could get them in. Are you still doing that or advising we just wait for the Super DMA code? I've lived this long without an integrated PG so what I've got now for my local DMA is delightful, to say the least, so I guess I can wait.

Q1 is the most important in the list for me at the moment, but would be interested in seeing what others have to say about Q2 and Q3.

Thanks in advance. First Voom day is good so far.

Doug

A1. "Aim Antenna" doesn't save any channels. You need to do channel scan instead.

A2. I don't believe you can lose channels by doing additional scans. I know someone mentioned that. But so far, I haven't seen anything of this sort myself.

A3. You can scan in an out-of-your-DMA channel now, but only if it sends PSIP data. If there is a new station in your DMA that is missing from the OTA map, Sean can help you add it to the map. Otherwise, you will have to wait for the Super-DMA.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)