quick question about callerID

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerseyMatt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Midwest
I'm getting a Vonage line for my home business, and I want to have the on-screen caller ID in all the rooms.. Does it require a phone connection to all receivers or can I just hook up one of them and it feeds them all over the network?

I don't have any other landlines, so none of the boxes have ever seen a phone line. The house is not even wired for telephone (it is wired for ethernet, but it's Gigabit so no spare pairs), and I don't really want to have to run new jacks if I don't have to. One of them is near the router where I will have the Vonage adapter, so it would be easy to plug that one in to the phone if it can feed the rest of them.

Thanks!

I think you need a recvr for each location with a phone jack as well for each.
I have not seen it work over the network like your asking about.

IF there is a way, I too would like to know how it's done. :)

it depends if you have a SWM system then as long as at least 1 receiver is hooked up they will all get the CID or so im told

Last edited:
it depends if you have a SWM system then as long as at least 1 receiver is hooked up they will all get the CID or so im told

Hmmm, REALLY ?

this is not true i have swim and the receiver in the bedroom is hooked to the phone line and there is no caller id on my living room tv

Thanks for verifying that, I don't have that set up so I didn't know for sure, but I couldn't imagine CID showing up on other sets.... not hooked up to the phone.
Although software could probably do that.

Hmm.. See I was thinking it would work, because I have SWM and all HD receivers, so they are all networked together. Back in the day I used a program on my server called YAC, which grabbed the CallerID off the modem and broadcast it over the network. Then there was a 'listener' program that popped up the ID on all the computers. It also ran on my hacked Xbox (running XBMC), so it popped up on the TV if I was watching something through there.

I'm going to try to get that working again as well, but I'm not that well versed in Linux (my old server ran Windows). I know just enough to get my FreeNAS server configured and working, but I've crashed and burned trying to get other things working with it so far. Like I said though, it;ll just be a pain in the butt running new phone lines, so I was hoping it would work over the network..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)