Quiet Directv Standard Def DVR?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

deva

Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Hello,

I'm new to the world of DVRs, just getting a HD dish Friday. I received a HD DVR for my basement, and a standard DVR for the bedroom. I had to disconnect the bedroom DVR after one night because the fan does not stop going unless the receiver is unplugged, and the fan made enough noise that is was a nuisance in a room where people sleep. I had to reactivate my old non-dvr receiver & send back the DVR receiver.

Is there another standard def Directv DVR that does not have a fan, or a fan that turns off when the receiver is turned off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I'm new to the world of DVRs, just getting a HD dish Friday. I received a HD DVR for my basement, and a standard DVR for the bedroom. I had to disconnect the bedroom DVR after one night because the fan does not stop going unless the receiver is unplugged, and the fan made enough noise that is was a nuisance in a room where people sleep. I had to reactivate my old non-dvr receiver & send back the DVR receiver.

Is there another standard def Directv DVR that does not have a fan, or a fan that turns off when the receiver is turned off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is why I don't have a dvr in my bedroom to. In my Home Theatre room my HR 20-700 is in the entertainment center, so it's not an issue.

I would probably get use to the fan over time ( I also run a ceiling fan at night) but decided not to do that in the bedroom.

It may be the fan or maybe the HD spinning that your hearing.
The HD runs all the time so that it can be ready incase you decide to puase or rewind at any time.(buffering)

Jimbo

They vary and it probably isn't a function of model but just unit-to-unit differences. My HDVR2 was pretty loud and my HR20 is slightly noisy. The R15 I had and my HR21 are both fairly quiet (these are the ones I used in the bedroom).

No on the fans shutting down and no on the hard drive shutting down with current DIRECTV DVRs.

All DVRs will have at least one fan spinning all of the time.

DVRs kept in cabinets or in close proximity to things that are hot are more likely to howl than those that are not.

I can't say I've ever noticed the fan on my R16 to be loud ,or even heard the fan running without having my face right next to it. My HR 20 is loud though. But not to extreme.

We've got four DVRs in our house (2 in bedrooms), and I can't say I've ever noticed a fan running if I wasn't right next to the receiver.

I'm very sensitive to fan and spinning hard drive noise. I had to move two Dish DVRs into my basement because I couldn't stand the noise in my living room. Recently got a R22 SD DVR and HR21 HD DVR from D*. I'm very pleased with how much quieter they are.

Quiet enough for a bedroom? Not sure about that. But they are the quietest DVRs I've ever owned, and I owned 4 before this.

You could put it on a remote-control extension cord, where you could put the on/off switch by your bedside.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)