QVC HD

sundaddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Did I hear someone say we're getting QVC HD, not that I'm all exited but hey, any new HD is nice.

Yes from what I am hearing QVC HD is coming... (and HSN HD is not far behind)

Some folks might not like it but it shows how mainstream HD is now.

Other new HD channels are coming as well.

August should be an interesting month.

Yes from what I am hearing QVC HD is coming... (and HSN HD is not far behind)

Some folks might not like it but it shows how mainstream HD is now.

Totally mainstream. It can't be long before channels like E!, Style, WE, AMC, IFC, TCM, ESPN-U, Oudoor Channel, Fuel, Fuse, G4, HNN, TruTV, ION, RFD-TV, Showtime Extreme, Showtime Beyond, TMC-Xtra, and More Max launch HD feeds.

Oh, they already have?

All of them?

And we're getting QVC-HD?

:no

Totally mainstream. It can't be long before channels like E!, Style, WE, AMC, IFC, TCM, ESPN-U, Oudoor Channel, Fuel, Fuse, G4, HNN, TruTV, ION, RFD-TV, Showtime Extreme, Showtime Beyond, TMC-Xtra, and More Max launch HD feeds.

Oh, they already have?

All of them?

And we're getting QVC-HD?

:no

DISH is obviously adding them in order of customer demand.:D

They are the two channels that PAY Dish. So, if there's any delay, it's on their end.

I know "no one" ever watches shopping channels. This is why QVC fields about 230,000 phone calls a day and in 2007 sold about $7 BILLLion in merchandise. The fact that "no one" watches this channel is also proven by the fact that this channel is the #2 cable network in revenues each year.

So, how many people watch this channel? No one cares since revenue is all that matters and QVC doesn't subscribe to Nielsen. But let's make a very high estimate in call volume and say that 1 in 5 people who watch the channel call in a day. That's 1,150,000 viewers a day. That would make it the #6 cable network in terms of viewers this summer. We all know that the number of people who call is much lower than that.

For refference...
This is the number of viewers in prime time in the third week of June for the following networks according to Nielsen (x Million):
1. USA 2.088 (in HD on Dish)
2. Disney 1.815 (in HD on Dish)
3. TBS 1.617 (in HD on Dish)
4. TNT 1.549 (in HD on Dish)
5. Fox News 1.269 (in HD on Dish)
6. Lifetime 1.161 (in HD on Dish)
7. Nick at Nite 1.101 (in HD on Dish)
8. FX 1.039 (in HD on Dish)
9. A & E 1.032 (in HD on Dish)
10. Cartoon 1.027 (in HD on Dish)

See ya
Tony <--sometimes catches himself watching infomercials for Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts.

Lets compare the low number on QVC of 1.15 Million viewers a day to these high "sweeps" numbers:
Ratings cable network leaders Oct 2008

Rank Network Average Viewers Live+SD (million)
1 TBS 4.708
2 Fox News 3.824
3 ESPN 3.018
4 USA 2.655
5 Disney 2.517
6 CNN 2.364
7 Cartoon Network 1.889
8 Nick At Nite 1.701
9 MSNBC 1.635
10 TNT 1.607
11 SCIFI 1.416
12 Lifetime 1.383
13 A&E 1.336
14 Hallmark 1.241
15 FX 1.230
------QCV would go here
16 Discovery 1.108
17 Comedy 1.088
18 SPIKE 1.052
19 ABC Family 1.016
20 HGTV 0.940

Notice how all the channels listed are already in HD on Dish :)

See ya
Tony

Now, let's see the numbers on how many QVC shoppers have HD versus how many QVC shoppers have 75 to 300 Ohm screw terminal adaptors hooked up to the RF outputs on their Dish 311s. :D

Forget about getting the Rainbow Media Channels in HD for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost the SD channels soon.

I would have believed this a couple of years ago, but AMC now has two of the best shows on TV- period. (And I'm speaking objectively...I don't watch Mad Men, only Breaking Bad.) Customers would pitch a major fuss, churn would be considerable. IFC has moved into original programming too. You could ditch a movie channel or two without causing too much of a stir, but pull someone's favorite show and they are gone.

They could try pulling the plug for a couple of days as a negotiation tool, but it won't last long. Anybody have any numbers as to how many people left when they pulled Lifetime?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)