QVC-OTA added to AM21?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
Has anyone else noticed that the QVC channel that was recently added OTA on XX-5 on ION stations is now on the AM21? This would be intriguing because that would mean SOMEONE has been playing with the AM21 database. Is it possible that the recent QVCHD and QVC+ additions had anything to do with this?

I noticed it there after doing a RBR on my Genie. I will attach a screenshot.

1377639380683.jpg

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Well it 'could' be part of the QVC additions I think it is unlikely.

Hopefully this is a sign that Directv will update the AM21 database - especially since they abandoned OTA scanning on the Genie boxes in recent software releases.

The DirecTV method of using just two markets by zip code is not ideal, but it is functional. If they put some work into maintaining it, it could be fine. There aren't many customers that would need more than two markets - there are some, but these companies often don't carry to the 'power user' types.

I have that software release so I was surprised to see it.

The AM21 will take more than 2 zip codes. First set it up with your real zip code and secondary zip code. Then, do the initial set up again using your primary zip code and the zip code in a DMA that has subchannels you're missing. I live in NC and first did my zip (Greensboro DMA) and then a Raleigh DMA zip. I then did my zip + Los Angeles. Then, my zip+Vermont. That filled in my missing subs.

Someone on this site posted about this a while ago. I didn't believe it would work, but it did. Just spreading the word. The guide will obviously be wrong but at least you can watch/DVR all the channels. The QVC appearance is weird because the database doesn't have a QVC on any -5. And if it did, it would have the call letters, I assume. The AM21 will never make sense.

I have that software release so I was surprised to see it.

The AM21 will take more than 2 zip codes. First set it up with your real zip code and secondary zip code. Then, do the initial set up again using your primary zip code and the zip code in a DMA that has subchannels you're missing. I live in NC and first did my zip (Greensboro DMA) and then a Raleigh DMA zip. I then did my zip + Los Angeles. Then, my zip+Vermont. That filled in my missing subs.

Someone on this site posted about this a while ago. I didn't believe it would work, but it did. Just spreading the word. The guide will obviously be wrong but at least you can watch/DVR all the channels. The QVC appearance is weird because the database doesn't have a QVC on any -5. And if it did, it would have the call letters, I assume. The AM21 will never make sense.

Yes, There is a workaround for the subscribers losing channels with the OTA scanning being removed from the Genies. It is very confusing and time consuming but most sub-channels lost can probably be picked-up by trying this method. It amazes me D* doesn't overhaul their system of delivering sub-channels OTA or train their CSR's how to intertact with the customer so they can receive all the subs possible in their area. With all the "cord cutting" going on I would think it would be in D* best interest to offer as many OTA subs as possible. D* seems to ignore OTA and tries to persuade the customer otherwise. In my area I pick up an additional 6 channels not in D* database by re-scanning more zip codes. Some of those are the most desirable OTA channels in my area. I hope D* changes some of their policies to help the customer receive all the OTA's possible in their area.

Last edited:
It should be noted that the additional zip codes method does not work with other software, just the xx7xx version (I know that's probably not the proper format, but you know what I mean - the new software with the 7 in it).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts