R.I.P. Netscape

I remember when Netscape was the browser when it came to surfing the net.

The problem is that Internet explorer simply came out with a better product. Instead of going in that direction and making it more like internet explorer they tried to get into a nitch market. That plan back fired because it was so much different than internet explorer people where not used to it.

People do not like change!

I remember when Netscape was the browser when it came to surfing the net.

The problem is that Internet explorer simply came out with a better product.

No, they came out with a free product. It wasn't until after Netscape was already in their death throes that Explorer was a marginally better browser.

Instead of going in that direction and making it more like internet explorer they tried to get into a nitch market.

I don't blame them for that. Firefox carries on the spirit of Netscape these days and it is a vastly superior browser to MS.

That plan back fired because it was so much different than internet explorer people where not used to it.

People do not like change!

I'm in the change business.

Cheers,

Sorry, I have tried and tried to use Firefox. Love parts of it but the problem is, no matter how good of a browser it may be, Many webpages are simply not compatable and do not display correctly on it. Until Firefox is able to be fully compatable with IE built webpages, I will use IE. Why make my internet browsing complicated with having to change browsers back and forth????

Oh man, Netscape was one of the first browsers that I've used beside IE, now days I've been using FF2 more often.
I loved the whole Netscape browser, bummer, R.I.P Netscape.

I started with Netscape 2.0 and used it until somewhere in the 4.x version. I was hooked on Mozilla 0.5 with its tabbed browsing and followed it until most of the developers left for Firefox. I had both Mozilla and Firefox installed for probably a year, it was a while before Firefox was stable enough.

Netscape ended with version 4.x, all the versions afterwards were rebadged versions of Mozilla

I so rarely find a site that requires IE that it usually takes me a moment to find the IE icon. Even then most of the times I thought it was a problem with Firefox it was a problem in IE too.

Time marches on. I used Netscape and internet explorers daddy "NCSA Mosaic" It's stll running on OpenVMS. OpenVMS Mosaic Help Page
mosaic2.gif

Sorry, I have tried and tried to use Firefox. Love parts of it but the problem is, no matter how good of a browser it may be, Many webpages are simply not compatable and do not display correctly on it. Until Firefox is able to be fully compatable with IE built webpages, I will use IE. Why make my internet browsing complicated with having to change browsers back and forth????

RTFM dude, RTFM.

See the firefox logo at the bottom right of the screen? Click on it, it'll change to an IE icon and render the page again with the IE engine.

Refer back to my two attachments and you'll see what I mean.

If website developers are stupid enough to ignore > 1/3 of the browser market that's their own stupidity.

Cheers,

Attachments

• ff-cap-1.jpg
    ff-cap-1.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 186
  • ff-cap-2.jpg
    ff-cap-2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 169

I think it's the other way around. IE does not follow the standards, and bulls their way thru since they're the big dog. They tried that with Java, in a thin attempt to destroy it, and lost in court. It was a no brainer. So they pledge to follow standards, and then go their own way, and many, many people write to follow IE rather than the standard.

There are some pages, generally banking related, that I go to that require IE. Even some dish tech sites require IE to render "correctly."

RTFM dude, RTFM.

See the firefox logo at the bottom right of the screen? Click on it, it'll change to an IE icon and render the page again with the IE engine.

Refer back to my two attachments and you'll see what I mean.
OK. I use FF and I don't have that logo at the bottom. Is this an option? I can't find it under Help. So I guess I need a little help with the FM.

I can't recall any webpages I go to that don't work with Firefox. I absolutely hate IE now after using Firefox so much.

Sadly there are a few that are problems for me on a regular basis...

1) Is a Sharepoint site, and FF completely refuses to work with it. Thanks MS for locking everyone into your stuff there ;)

2) My consulting firms portal.

Cheers,

I think it's the other way around. IE does not follow the standards, and bulls their way thru since they're the big dog. They tried that with Java, in a thin attempt to destroy it, and lost in court. It was a no brainer. So they pledge to follow standards, and then go their own way, and many, many people write to follow IE rather than the standard.

That's the problem with being a massively dominant player like MS -- they can (and do) create de facto standards by fiat.

There are some pages, generally banking related, that I go to that require IE. Even some dish tech sites require IE to render "correctly."

Yep.

OK. I use FF and I don't have that logo at the bottom. Is this an option? I can't find it under Help. So I guess I need a little help with the FM.

Try downloading an extension called IE Tab. That should give you both the rendering option in the bottom of the screen and a right click option to open a page with the IE engine.

You can even set up bookmarks to render with IE automatically with a prefix.

I'm so used to automatically installing IE Tab with FF that I don't think of it as not being part of FF by default.

Cheers,

This is most likely due to user setup and lake of proper plugins. Not actually browser compatibility. What makes Firefox safer than IE is the fact that most of the IE pre-installed junk that makes it its most unsafe does not come pre-installed with Firefox. I have yet to find a site Firefox doesn't work with. Post your trouble URLs for us to test and I bet they work just fine.

Sadly there are a few that are problems for me on a regular basis...

1) Is a Sharepoint site, and FF completely refuses to work with it. Thanks MS for locking everyone into your stuff there ;)

2) My consulting firms portal.

Cheers,

Not sure either of these failures are a direct Firefox issue but really site issues. As in using sniffers to "browser detect", and if it doesn't see IE then it shuts down or acts erratic; that is not Firefox's fault, but site code.

What specifically with the Sharepoint site? I just browsed all over it and every link. (or am I mis-reading)

Last edited:
I didn't really access the Internet until the Summer of 1997 and I used a WebTV terminal. Two years later, I picked up my first PC running Win98SE and I was content with IE. Tried Netscape and didn't care for it.

In 2004 I tried Mozilla Firefox and, after some initial adjustment, found that I much preferred it. If I need IE, I run the tab another poster mentioned in this thread for FF. IE feels weird to me now.

But, as far as Netscape being dead, it really never lived for me.

Not sure either of these failures are a direct Firefox issue but really site issues. As in using sniffers to "browser detect", and if it doesn't see IE then it shuts down or acts erratic; that is not Firefox's fault, but site code.

I agree; but try telling that with the site.

What specifically with the Sharepoint site? I just browsed all over it and every link. (or am I mis-reading)

Its internal to my company. Specifically the edit functions don't work correctly. The document gets marked as checked out; but doesn't get passed to the appropriate underlying program. When I render with the IE engine (even within FF) it works properly.

There are also some other custom apps for time tracking that don't properly work when rendered by FF.

Cheers,

I actually have; when Firefox started to become popular I made the decision to stop using IE a a "backup" and my bank Well Fargo had such a sniffer in place; it took at 6-9 mos but they finally got the message and Firefox was able to brows accurately. BUT I get your point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)