R.I.P. Netscape

concord

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 5, 2005
Southern North Carolina
I remember ftping MOSAIC browser code and compiling the source code on a Unix system around 1991. And of course there was a text based browser also, but cant remember the name. We've come along way from 10-16yrs ago....

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
I actually have; when Firefox started to become popular I made the decision to stop using IE a a "backup" and my bank Well Fargo had such a sniffer in place; it took at 6-9 mos but they finally got the message and Firefox was able to brows accurately. BUT I get your point.

I don't set corporate policy for that kind of stuff...

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Thanks, J K. I've installed IE Tab and will give it a try.

One place to see a bit of a difference (overwriting) is: Tech Portal : Tech Depot

ON Edit: Interesting. Look at this site in both IE and Firefox rendering. IE gives 3 choices, FF 5.

Still looking for that Dish tech site that did not work in FF. Maybe they've fixed it.

Last edited:

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Thanks, J K. I've installed IE Tab and will give it a try.

One place to see a bit of a difference (overwriting) is: Tech Portal : Tech Depot

ON Edit: Interesting. Look at this site in both IE and Firefox rendering. IE gives 3 choices, FF 5.

Still looking for that Dish tech site that did not work in FF. Maybe they've fixed it.

Navy, can you post a screen cap of what you see? I posted mine.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 100

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Below are the shots. I run my CRT at 1024x768 - printouts seem to match the screen.

Your shot seems to be right in the middle of the two. Look at the black lettered phrase "Uplink Centers test"

Attachments

• Tech portal in FF.jpg
    Tech portal in FF.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Tech portal in IE.jpg
    Tech portal in IE.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
Sorry, I have tried and tried to use Firefox. Love parts of it but the problem is, no matter how good of a browser it may be, Many webpages are simply not compatable and do not display correctly on it. Until Firefox is able to be fully compatable with IE built webpages, I will use IE. Why make my internet browsing complicated with having to change browsers back and forth????

I can't remember the last time I had compatibility issues with FF.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I used it back in college on power pc's, I had forgotten about mosaic. Back in the late 90's netscape was the browser to use and it was great but then it went past version 4 and tumbled down hill rather fast.

FF wont work with my companies benefits website at all, the website stops you before you can step foot on the main page.

I wonder if another company or orginization will try to pick it up and revamp it, would be nice to see it born again.

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I can't remember the last time I had compatibility issues with FF.

Even if you do encounter the stray webpage that will not work with it you can launch IE using IE tab or IE view. So what si the problem/ None that I can see.

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I used it back in college on power pc's, I had forgotten about mosaic. Back in the late 90's netscape was the browser to use and it was great but then it went past version 4 and tumbled down hill rather fast.

FF wont work with my companies benefits website at all, the website stops you before you can step foot on the main page.

I wonder if another company or orginization will try t
o pick it up and revamp it, would be nice to see it born again.

You nifht try setting the user agent switcher to report you are using IE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)