R10 to mpeg 4 HD DVR upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

liteyear

Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I just received a call from a Directv automated recording informing me that I can upgrade my Directv DVR R10 for free to a HD-DVR because of the mpeg 2 to mpeg 4 transition. The call stated that my current receiver would no longer be able to receive current HD channels if I do not upgrade it.

Normally I'd say this sounds like a good thing. Free equipment can't be bad, right?

The problem is that the R10 model is not a HD receiver at all. It doesn't have any video outputs that might even be considered HD. It is an older dual tuner Tivo DVR and I do not have a HDTV.

I'm trying to do some research before I call them so I'm informed before talking to a CSR but the Directv website is completely worthless for looking up technical information and existing customer promotions.

The questions I have are:

Will I actually no longer receive channels on this receiver in the future if I do not upgrade?

Why would Directv think I have a HD receiver?

Any idea what model HD receiver I would get in the upgrade?

Would it be worth doing the upgrade even if I don't have a HDTV?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I haven't heard of any standard DVR/Tivo's being upgraded. If they are offering it to you, take it! Any reason why you wouldn't?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)