R15 Receiver Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
My parents have had DirecTV now for many years (probably since the beginning of DirecTV's existance). Their system consists of 1 round dish, 1 single output LNB and 1 RCA receiver. Last week their RCA receiver bit the dust and needed to be replaced. I called DirecTV for them and asked if they could possibly replace their entire system since its so old and they have been subscribers for many years. Their reply was "NO", but they could sell them a $99 R15 DVR receiver. I hung up and told my parents to go to Best Buy or Circuit City to buy a R15 receiver and I would help them hook it up via the phone since we live over 5 hours apart.

Tonight I walked them through the hookup and they received all the software updates, etc and began to receive a picture using tuner 1. I then called DirecTV and gave them the new receiver info and added the DVR subscription. My parents LOVE the system and are amazed that it takes no tapes to record. :)

Question:
What is the easiest way I can get the receiver hooked up using both inputs? My parents are elderly and my dad wouldn't be able to replace the single output LNB with a dual output LNB as well as run an additional coax to the receiver.

Would a high frequency splitter work to split the signal into two near the receiver and attach the outputs of the splitter into the two inputs on the receiver? I know my Dish Network system is like this and only one coax enters the house. If so, what brand of high frequency splitter should I get?

The easiest way would be call D* and have them come out and rewire the system, for about $99. If your father can't change the LNB the disaster recovery kit would be worthless because the dish would have to be mounted and aimed.

What you should have done was play CSR roulette. If your father was as old a customer as you say he probably could have gotten the R15 installed free. Maybe free or free after credits but now you have it connected and activated so it woill be at your expense to upgrade the LNB and run the cables to make the dual tuner functional.

NO SPLITTERS CANNOT BE USED.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)